New to HP crock pot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissabug

Reaction score
I am selling soap at our local Farmer's Market and have been doing M&P soap. I would like to do HP crock pot soap since it won't have to cure long. I am new - advice? Recipe? I have the lye, distilled water and coconut and olive oil on hand - Is there a recipe just using these things? Will Lavender EO work well to scent it? Any advice is welcome!!

Hey there welcome. Sounds like you have everything ingredient wise, Do you have a stick blender and safety wear (dish gloves, eye protection)? if no i do recommend them as the lye is pretty scary to work with. I have made a oo/co bar before and love it. It really depends on what you are looking for as far as properties, i would try a 75/25% or 80/20% of Olive/coconut oil. Its a good basic Bastille recipe i like. Seeing it has more olive it will take a lil while to harden, Id say about a month for decent hardness. As far as using a crockpot, i love them for soaping, how big is it and how big of a batch are you trying to make?

Id run all the ingredients through SoapCalc to figure out your lye and water. http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp im sure someone else will chime in.

I did get a stick blender and I think I have protective eye wear here somewhere. The crock pot is the age old tall -skinny (well, not really skinny) one - I know it's dumb but I have no idea what that holds.

Was I crazy to think I could make soap on Monday afternoon and cut it late that night and have it ready to sell by Sat AM?

I don't understand how to use that lye calc - I will have to play with it a bit. If anyone has a tried and true HP recipe using OO and CO - please let me know. I have a 2 lb wooden box mold but several drawer dividers on hand to use as well. I am going to, of course, line them all with partchment paper. Tell me A: Anyone have a recipe that will work for me
B: Will about 5 days be long enough to harden/cure and be ready to sell?

Back