New to CP Soap Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarrenB

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Karren and I am new to CP soap making. I have watched every video I can find and have been reading and studying for months on the CP methods. I just made my first batch and used a basic recipe that was posted by many seasoned soapers. Recipe was mainly olive,coconut, canola, and some castor oil. I let the soap sit in the mold for approx. 84 hours. It unmolded very easy but the soap seems to be very soft. Is this normal. When I watch the video of soap making it looks like the bars that are being cut are harder. I would love to try another recipe but want to know if I am doing everything properly. I am to anxious to wait 4-6 weeks to find out if my first batch is usable. I am now totally addicted to soap making. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soft is probably normal, but give us your full recipe with actual amounts including the water and lye. Also, did it heat up and gel?

Oh, and your soap is probably usable right not - just not optimal. Did you "zap test" it?

And one last thing - welcome to the addiction.

Thanks for replying . The recipe I used was for 2 lbs. 6 oz. Canola, 9 oz. Coconut, 16 oz. Olive and 1 oz. Castor Oil. 4.69 oz. Lye and 11.9 oz. water. Also used 1.5 oz. Fragrance Oil. The soap did trace and immediately started to thicken when I poured in the mold. I really didn't notice that the mixture went into the gel stage as I didn't notice that the soap became hot. There really was no increase in heat at all, which I thought was strange.

Soaping really is addicting. It is now my favorite pasttime. :D

Latest posts

Back