New research: Aloe Vera...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought this was interesting since im a science nut and keep up on all of this stuff... also thought it was good to share with everyone...enjoy!

Acemannan purified from Aloe vera induces phenotypic and functional maturation of immature dendritic cells

Jae Kwon Leea, Myung Koo Leea, Yeo-Pyo Yuna, Youngsoo Kima, Jong Sik Kimb, Yeong Shik Kimb, Kyungjae Kimc, Seong Sun Hana and Chong-Kil Leea,
a College of Pharmacy, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju 361-763, South Korea
b Natural Products Research Institute, Seoul National University, Seoul 110-460, South Korea
c Department of Pharmacy, Sahm-Yook University, Seoul 139-742, South Korea
Received 1 December 2000; 
revised 7 February 2001; 
accepted 8 February 2001. 
Available online 1 June 2001.

Abstract
Acemannan, a major carbohydrate fraction of Aloe vera gel, has been known to have antiviral and antitumoral activities in vivo through activation of immune responses. The present study was set out to define the immunomodulatory activity of acemannan on dendritic cells (DCs), which are the most important accessory cells for the initiation of primary immune responses. Immature DCs were generated from mouse bone marrow (BM) cells by culturing in a medium supplemented with GM-CSF and IL-4, and then stimulated with acemannan, sulfated acemannan, and LPS, respectively. The resultant DCs were examined for phenotypic and functional properties. Phenotypic analysis for the expression of class II MHC molecules and major co-stimulatory molecules such as B7-1, B7-2, CD40 and CD54 confirmed that acemannan could induce maturation of immature DCs. Functional maturation of immature DCs was supported by increased allogeneic mixed lymphocyte reaction (MLR) and IL-12 production. The differentiation-inducing activity of acemannan was almost completely abolished by chemical sulfation. Based on these results, we propose that the adjuvant activity of acemannan is at least in part due to its capacity to promote differentiation of immature DCs.

Author Keywords: Aloe vera; Acemannan; Dendritic cell; Differentiation

Pasted from <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W7N-435TR02-5&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=213e4e0f62e6fe29a0e26ee1a8987ef3>

I consider myself to be relatively intelligent, and I feel sure this is a report about a good thing, but it's way over my head. :?

Basically a synopsis is that theyve been doing research into aloe vera and what gives it its healing properties... they have identified a compound Acemannan which seemed to have an effect on one of the main cells that assist in the functioning of our immune system (via the lymphatic system).

Basically I interpret from this that Acemannan will partly aide in bolstering the immune system by helping to facilitate the cells that make our immunte system work... This is most likely the first phase of these studies and I dont think it should be taken as Law... Its kind of the opening of a can of worms of research that could produce some very beneficial information (which would be relevant to us in the B&B industry because of how many of us utilize aloe in many forms)

I am interested to see what other research this study influences :)

hope that kind of clarifies it for you and all else who may feel a little intimidated by it :)

Back