New recipe. What do you think of it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have worked out a new recipe and would appreciate some comments on it before I take the plunge:

Grapeseed oil 15%
Peanut oil 25%
Shea butter 15%
Castor oil 5%
Kokum butter 20%
Coconut oil 20%

SF 5%
water as % of oil weight: 33%

I am planning to make a batch of 500g and thought of adding 2 teasp. of sugar, one of salt and one of kaolin plus EO or FO of course.

What do you reckon? I would appreciate any comments, criticisms and/or suggestions. Thank you.

Nicole

Grapeseed oil has a relatively short shelf life.

I'd also not use peanut oil due to potential allergy concerns.

Subbing olive oil for those two and recalculating your recipe with a lye calculator would yield a very nice soap, I think.

I'd also up the SF to 7-8%

I made some soap with grapeseed oil about a year ago and found it spoiled rather quickly. Personally I wouldn't use it unless you plan to use all the soap within 4-6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I'd suggest the same as Judy. Though peanut isn't as prone to rancidity as grapeseed oil, it still contributes to DOS.

Grapeseed oil 15%
Peanut oil 25%
Shea butter 15%
Castor oil 5%
Kokum butter 20%
Coconut oil 20%
My opinion:
Lard instead of Grapeseed and Peanut. So:
Lard 40%
Shea butter 15%
Castor oil 5%
Kokum butter 20%
Coconut oil 20%

I would switch the grapeseed and peanut for Olive as well. Especially if you are still relatively new to soapmaking. Using too many hard oils can cause your soap to trace really fast. Good Luck to you!

Back