New Hdpe mold?(update w/ pics)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calico21

Reaction score
I'm getting my Kelsei today, and I was wondering if anyone uses something not petroleum based to help with release. Mineral oil= petroleum. Silicone spray is meant for machinery not consumption. Yes I know I'm not eating my soap, LOL! Is there a "veggie" oil extremely high in unsaponifiables that might work instead. Any thoughts?

I use the residuals from weighing out the oils in my soap recipe to grease my HDPE mold, especially the shea butter residuals. Then just before pour I spray with a Pam-like canola oil spray. I then freeze the soap for 4 hours before de-molding.

Ok, I've used it twice now. One no gel; one gel with mineral oil coated. The no gel one released ok, but not great. the second one released real well but the soap is just jacked. The f.o. accelerated trace, and wasn't able to do my in the pot swirl so I just kinda mixed it up. Here's pics.
This is the jacked one, Lonestar pomagranate cider, the back came out nice (the top bars in pic), the tops are like hard dry mashed potatoes(bottom bars).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This one swirled in mold was pretty LS coconut lime verbena now smells like nothing!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So if I stay with the mineral oil do you add it to your ingredient list? I used one drop for each part of the mold and spread with my fingers, less than a 1/8 of a teaspoon total. I give away a lot of bars but still label them.

Back