New Formula Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. :)
Two quick questions for those who create their own recipes.

First, will this recipe move slowly enough to use for a modified peacock swirl technique? It works beautifully, for standard pouring and layering, but I'm not sure if it'd behave well enough for a 10-15 minute process.
2oz. Evening Primrose
2oz. Meadowfoam Oil
8 oz. Coconut Oil
1 oz. Jojoba Oil
16 oz. Olive Oil
8 oz. Palm Oil
4 oz. Shea Butter
13.5 oz. water
5.9 oz. lye

Secondly, how much concentrated liquid titanium dioxide do I need pp, to get a nice snow white? All of the tutorials I've seen have showcased powered TD mixed thinly at time of use, so I'm not sure how much to use.

Hope everyone's having a beautifully soaptastic day! :)

i can't really comment on the recipe, because i've not use that combo before. shea is quite a mover afaik, but don't quote me as i don't use shea that often. that said, you can bring the batter emulsification and start doing your colors, etc. do not bring the batter even to light trace. you're going to need all the time you can have. full water, or slightly less than that is also recommended. peacock swirl is quite a complicated technique, so yeah, all the time you can get.

how much time did it take for you to do your standard layering with this recipe? you can prolly predict if it will stand another 5-10 mins.

with the TD, have it ready next to you in an already mixed state (water, oil, whichever one you have). i don't have a standard ppo with TD, simply use it as i go to get the effect needed.

goodluck, and don't forgot to post pics!

In my standard layering I try to get done in 5-10 minutes, as long as my batter is cooperative. This a good recipe for me, so far, I just don't want my first bigger swirl project to flop. :) I'm thinking of splitting the shea butter down to 2oz. and add in 2oz. of mango butter as well. It will give a little more fluidity/slide, and I love the added lather I always get from it.
I'll go for very light trace, and see where it takes me. I'll definitely post some photos, ugly or beautiful! :)

To be honest, I'm more worried about the EO/FO you're going to use, than about the composition of your recipe.
+ you forget to tell how many colours you're going to use, and what colourants you use.
(pouring in different containers + mixing takes a lot more time when you're using 6 colours, than when you do 3 colours.

Go easy on the TD; looking at your oils, you won't need much -
Don't go too low on the temperature; nearly half of your oils is solid, watch out for a false trace.
Be sure everything you need is there before you start; colours mixed, FO measured, all utensils on the spot ...

Why not try a simple (cheaper) recipe for starters?
That way you can calculate the time you need; a bit of experience in the process may come in handy. :)
60% olive, 20%CO, 20% Palm or tallow (or swap the OO for Sweet Almond oil -> nice white soap)
jst my 2 cts.

To be honest, I'm more worried about the EO/FO you're going to use, than about the composition of your recipe.
+ you forget to tell how many colours you're going to use, and what colourants you use.
(pouring in different containers + mixing takes a lot more time when you're using 6 colours, than when you do 3 colours.

Go easy on the TD; looking at your oils, you won't need much -
Don't go too low on the temperature; nearly half of your oils is solid, watch out for a false trace.
Be sure everything you need is there before you start; colours mixed, FO measured, all utensils on the spot ...

Why not try a simple (cheaper) recipe for starters?
That way you can calculate the time you need; a bit of experience in the process may come in handy. :)
60% olive, 20%CO, 20% Palm or tallow (or swap the OO for Sweet Almond oil -> nice white soap)
jst my 2 cts.
I would go with this recipe, and save the expensive for a tried and true. TD will accelerate trace. Rice bran oil is also another slower tracing oil. You could use it in place of some of the OO

Thank you both!
I always have my colorants mixed and ready, on the side with all of my tools, and measured ingredients. I tend to forget things, if I don't let my OCD organization take over during soaping, so that's always ready before I've even mixed my lye-water and oils. I'll be sure to be cautious with the TD - in all my studying, I hadn't send that it accelerates, which is very good to know!
I'll be using a homeblended BB FO/EO mixture, which I've tested several times, just to be sure it isn't going to cause my batter to play up. *knock on wood*
As for colorants, I have red and green oxides in sweet almond oil already blended and waiting. I like to keep those pre-mixed, on hand, anytime I'm able. I never know when I'll want a color match on something, and I also replace them once a month, so no risk of rancid oil.

Back