New Directions Aromatics-GMO free??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeetime

Reaction score
I have been emailing back and forth with NDA for weeks trying to get some sort of verification that their soybean oil is GMOfree as stated on their website. So frustrating!

What happened was I ordered hempseed butter without reading what it was made from...my bad. But then emailed them to get an SAP which they provided, but I can't seem to get any documentation that the soy is GMO-free as they claim. The latest email this morning included a single page with a single sentence on it. "We hereby confirm that the hempseed butter is GMO-free." The NDA Quality Assurance Department.

Has anyone else asked for verification?

Thanks Lindy, I'm just not that trusting. Their website in Jan 2013 said that their soy was not GMO free and now it is. So they must have changed suppliers and thus must have some fresh paperwork with verification or certification. I just want to see it, that's all.

One other solution would be to not use soy...I stay away from using soy since quite a few of my customers are allergic to soy

I don't, I bought this jar by accident and I have to do something with it. I also don't use rice bran oil or canola for the same reasons.

Well I guess the answer is you either believe them or not. If you aren't willing to believe them then donate the oil to someone else. I don't know that you get any certification on GMO free, at least not that I've heard of. You do get certification for certified organic......

I've had several people tell me they are allergic to soy but can use soap with soy because it's different.

Can you link to the actual product that you are trying to find out about?

I might be able to figure something out (no promises). I just got finished doing a ton of research for someone else on a product and my mind is still in that mode and there are a lot of times where navigating the mumbo jumbo is a little easier for me because I work in law and spend all of my days eyeball deep in legal mumbo jumbo and government regulations. Just depends on what info I am able to locate and I don't want to start looking on one product and you were actually looking for another. Who knows? I may be no help at all. Could go either way.

I'd trust NDA. Just because they didn't have it on the website last year, doesn't mean it wasn't GMO-free. Many questions may have prompted them to add the information. I really like soy butter in my body products. Haven't had anyone say they are allergic to soy. Several to coconut anything, but not soy.

Speaking of which, what do y'all think is the best alternative to coconit oil in soap?

And now they are outright saying it is January 2014. A lot can change in a week let alone a year.... It seems to me that you don't want to believe them or take their word for it so if it were me I would move on...

Babassu makes a fantastic bar of soap. I have a bar I used it in and it has the bubbliest fluffiest creamiest lather!!

Another vote for babassu, but PKO is also quite nice as an alternative to coconut.

Another vote for babassu. I especially love it in shampoo bars.

As for NDA, I, too would trust them. Which reminds me, gotta place an order before Monday, when their $100 minimum kicks in!

Back