New batch smells deeeeeelicious! My first Goat's Milk! (PIC)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Outlaws

Reaction score
I just made a new batch of CP - this is #4, though #3 wasn't exactly a success (VERY fast "trace" but looked like thick applesauce [is this "ricing"?] and separated into oily layers in the mold... looked dangerous after several days still.. ick.)...

This one is my first GM soap, and also is pretty close to castille (is this bastille?) so I think it'll take a long time to get hard. I thought I remembered someone saying GM or castille soap turns white, which is what I'm hoping for...

Here's the recipe:

16oz olive
4oz grapeseed
4oz coconut

3.75oz lye
2oz water

after it cooled a little I added slightly slushy
8oz goat's milk

then at trace I added 1/2oz castor and scented it with Sweet Milk & Amber FOs (Sweet Milk from Lonestar and Sensual Amber from NG)

I pulled some out and added a shimmery copper mica, and did a bit of a swirl in the mold.. right now it looks like tan and a darker coppery tan.. but if it does, in fact, turn white, then it will be more of a milky color and ambery-copper which is what I'm crossing my fingers for.

Does this look okay as far as the recipe? I used this recipe, split in half, and changed it from citrus to the milk/amber...

http://www.northcountrymercantile.com/s ... _soap.html

????

It smells REALLY good, but it took for. ev. er. to trace - like 45 mins. I don't own a SB yet (asking for one for xmas) and usually I use a whisk and it's never taken longer than about 15 mins.. after 30 I started using my hand mixer with the beaters and it still took forever. I finally got it to a VERY thin trace and decided "to hell with it" and started to separate and color and it started tracing a little more... *whew* - man is my arm tired LOL

I'll LYK tomorrow how it looks. It's covered up and wrapped for now, I'll check on it in a while and see how hot it is and post an update with pics tomorrow :D

PICS

I haven't wiped them down yet so they still have the little specks of soap from cutting but I think they're pretty..

Here's the log, unmolded..
(don't mind the Sesame Street placemat)

And here are some of the slices...

I checked on it about an hour after I wrapped it and it looked *gorgeous* - the swirl was beautiful, etc..

A few hours after that, it was like all of the darker areas had migrated so it has a darker section in the middle now but still "some" swirl.. I uncovered it and loosened the blanket thinking maybe it was the heat.

More tomorrow..

Oooooohhhhh.......sounds beautiful. And you know this is coming........we wanna see!! :lol:

Digit

They smell a little different today but still pretty good - I think after they cure a bit they'll be great.
I haven't wiped them down yet so they still have the little specks of soap from cutting but I think they're pretty..

Here's the log, unmolded..
(don't mind the Sesame Street placemat)

And here are some of the slices...

Hooray!

Those are really pretty.

Be warned, my very creamy GM turned a dark tan about a week after I unmolded & colored it. Probably vanilla in the FO.

Thanks guys! I really like it :) Maybe my favorite swirl so far, though the pumpkin spice is my favorite as far as scent goes..

My mold is a tupperware type container designed for holding Velveeta cheese logs :) I got it at a rummage sale for .25 - if I ever see more I'll likely snatch them up too!

My mold is a tupperware type container designed for holding Velveeta cheese logs I got it at a rummage sale for .25 - if I ever see more I'll likely snatch them up too!

ah thanks.
too bad they don't make those velveeta logs anymore :( I really like the way your soaps come out! great job!!

Thanks guys! I'm very happy with this batch.. I think I'm going to make another batch today.. perhaps my carrot one finally (I have some carrot juice frozen since I hate this whole burning-liquid thing I get with tea and stuff..)

My hubby bought me a stick blender and a new squirty bottle for swirling so I'm anxious to try them out hehe

Off to the post office and then I'll wash up the dishes and start a batch of soap I think...

I need more lye.. anybody wanna sell me some? :D

Oh yeah, here's a pic of my soap while it's still in the mold, for those who asked about the Velveeta loaf..
(this is my first batch, the bluebonnet.. the blue thing in front there is the lid, it snaps on. The mold is upside down, the cheese sits on the lid and the "mold" goes over it...)

You are doing so well!! Hey I think you have the bug!!
Fun isn't it? I also love the look of your mould, is it easy to get the soap out of?
I have had problems with burning liquids with my lye also. The first time that I tried aloe vera juice, I just measured my juice and put the lye straight in, that was a mistake, the whole thing fizzled and turned blood red within about 30 seconds. The trick I have found to work for me is to mix your lye and water as normal, but take out a portion of your water, and then when your lye/water mix is cool, add the amount of water that you didn't add in whatever you want to put, juice, tea, coffee, whatever. It works for me.

that mold is SUPER easy to get it out of.. I just pull the sides away to break the seal then turn it over and press gently on the bottom and it slides right out! I LOVE IT

I was thinking of trying that with my liquids too - using just enough water to dissolve the lye before adding very cold or slushy "other liquid"..
My only disastrous batch so far, I used (very cold) coconut water.. when I first added the lye it looked great.. turned a gentle yellow color which I thought would be gorgeous in my pina colada soap... but within a few seconds it was medium, bright, then dark yellow and smelled burnt. I kept going just in case but I got a separating look, it traced super quick but looked like applesauce.. and in the mold it was like applesauce/lye water layers and looked horrid. I let it set up anyway but it didn't look much better the next day. Plus it volcanoed out of the mold within minutes of pouring and was HOT HOT HOT for a long time. Ugh.

Latest posts

Back