Need Help with Deodorant Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixL

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Below is the recipe I used for the stick deodorant. I believe I got it from some website or youtube video. Anyhow, it turned out quite well. However, it doesn't glide very well. Also it doesn't work very well in terms of getting rid of the odor. Most of the recipes I saw have either arrowroot powder or cornstarch. Is it really mandatory to put cornstarch in stick deodorant? If so, does it help with odor and glide or it just help with greasiness?

I am wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for this recipe or any other recipes in terms of improving the glide and increasing the effectiveness.

1 oz cocoa butter
1.2 oz beeswax
2 oz coconut oil
2 tsp castor oil
2 oz cub baking soda

essential oils:
4 drops of grapefruit
4 drops of bergamot
4 drops of lime
2 drops of frankincense
3 drops of tea tree

I use baking soda and white skin-safe clay in my stick deodorants. The clay abosorbs moisture % helps with the glide.

Here is one you might want to try as a spray
:
15 drops sandalwood essential oil
5 drops cypress essential oil
5 drops sage essential oil
5 drops coriander or lavender essential oil
2 ounces aloe vera juice or witch hazel
1 tablespoon alcohol

Thanks for the reply. How much clay should I add to the above recipe? Do I also need to increase or decrease the baking soda amount?

if you are game for trying something other than a stick deodorant, I'll share this really simple recipe I got from a website probably a year ago or more.

1 part coconut oil
1 part baking soda
1 part arrowroot powder
(plus a few drops of whatever eo you like)

just melt the coconut, add the powders and stir. put it in a little jar, done. I do 1 tbsp of each for the little batches I do, it lasts me at least a month or two, with daily use.

I have tried the recipe you're talking about (which felt very sticky to me), and several others that are firm enough to go in a stick, but I have never found one as nice as this one. So I gave up on having a stick, it's no big deal to put on a little dab with my fingertip!

I think the arrowroot/cornstarch is to help with the moisture, not sure, either way this recipe keeps me BO-free. :)

phoenixL said:
Thanks for the reply. How much clay should I add to the above recipe? Do I also need to increase or decrease the baking soda amount?
I would replace half of the baking soda with clay.
Here is a recipe I like:

8 oz. sweet almond oil
2 oz. besswax
2 tsp. wheat germ oil or Vit. E
1 tsp. bergamot e.o.
15 drops tea tree e.o.
30 drops geranium e.o.
1 tsp. lavender e.o.
1 oz. white clay
1 oz. baking soda

lsg said:
phoenixL said:
I would replace half of the baking soda with clay.
Here is a recipe I like:

8 oz. sweet almond oil
2 oz. besswax
2 tsp. wheat germ oil or Vit. E
1 tsp. bergamot e.o.
15 drops tea tree e.o.
30 drops geranium e.o.
1 tsp. lavender e.o.
1 oz. white clay
1 oz. baking soda

I tried adding clay in my existing recipe yesterday. I didn't replace the baking soda but added about 1 tbsp of clay. It turned out quite well since it glides better, it seems to melt easier on the skin as well. I may want to make it a bit harder. I will try replacing clay for baking soda as you suggested next time. Your recipe sounds great, I may try that too. Thanks.

Sunny said:
if you are game for trying something other than a stick deodorant, I'll share this really simple recipe I got from a website probably a year ago or more.

1 part coconut oil
1 part baking soda
1 part arrowroot powder
(plus a few drops of whatever eo you like)

just melt the coconut, add the powders and stir. put it in a little jar, done. I do 1 tbsp of each for the little batches I do, it lasts me at least a month or two, with daily use.

I have tried the recipe you're talking about (which felt very sticky to me), and several others that are firm enough to go in a stick, but I have never found one as nice as this one. So I gave up on having a stick, it's no big deal to put on a little dab with my fingertip!

I think the arrowroot/cornstarch is to help with the moisture, not sure, either way this recipe keeps me BO-free. :)

Thanks for the recipe. I actually tried non-stick version before. It works very well and very effective of getting rid of the odor without being greasy. But I'd like to try stick deodorant or spray so that I can make it look more like commercial ones. :)

I had the same issue with a similar stick deodorant I came up with. I solved it by adding in a small amount (3-5%) fractionated coconut oil. Long shelf life, doesn't stain clothes, supposedly has some deodorant properties (though I doubt the truth in that), and makes it nice and glidy. I also like adding cornstarch in, I put in equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch, it makes it a bit drier.

A solid deodorant I really liked was without wax, I found that the wax made it quite hard to use and sticky.
I used butters/oils, clay (kaolin), baking soda, vit E and loads of essential oils. I don't know the proportions by heart (my notes are at home) but I think you can tweak the quantities to work with the butters/oils that you want to use :)
When you start using it you need to give your body some time to adjust and start working, a few days at least.

I also couldn't do the wax. It was so sticky. Every time I raised my arms it was like my pits were self waxing, plus you could hardly even shower the stuff off.

Did you mean you make it just by having enough hard butter to it to make it solid? I guess that could work too though I am afraid it won't be hard enough.

I melted the butters (I used shea and coconut), added the oils (just a small quantity of argan and meadowfoam) and added the dry ingredients (enough to make a batter almost as thick as mashed potatoes), mixed it well, then added the vitamins and the ess oils and spooned it into an empty deodorant tube and let it sit for a couple of hours. After that I just used it as the regular twist up deodorant. It was pretty solid but at the same time easy to apply and cremy :)
If it's too thick you can add more oils and so on ...
Give it a go and tweak it till you get what you want!

i wonder if it is a bit softer than regular deo bars if you could use the kind with the "mesh" looking tops? that is more creamy and softer than regular deodorants

Latest posts

Back