Need help! 100% Coconut Oil Soap For Laundry

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcsharpe

Reaction score
OK, I followed the suggestion of making a 100% coconut oil soap with 0 super fat for using in my homemade laundry detergent. Most of the posts I found were talking about how fast it set up and grating it right away because it gets so hard so fast. Mine didn't really appear to do anything different than a typical CP batch. My concern is that if it isn't going to work really quickly, should I pop it in the oven to force it to gel? It is in a silicone mini loaf pan so it is individual bars and it is very flexible so I can't really wrap it up easily. Should I CPOP it? :confused:

I'm sure it's fine. I made some last night for laundry powder also. It didn't seem to set up as fast as when I make salt bars either. I left it on the counter overnight and they were hard by morning. I still used my individual molds so I didn't have to worry about cutting them. And my food processor had no problem shredding them once I actually put everything together.

Hint: If you are going to use a food processor, once the soap is shredded, add a bit of backing soda and it will get down to a really fine powder. Good luck.

Thank you for responding. It is always good to hear someone else say its OK when you are doubting yourself. I just checked it again and the top is already getting hard and the bottom is still really warm too. I actually just use a 4 sided cheese grater to grate my soap. I normally use Fels Naptha and microwave it till it turns into a foamy blob and it grates really easy. This last time, I tried the Zote Flakes and it was easier because I just kinda rubbed it around in my hands and it crumbled up into powder. I like the smell but it isn't getting my clothes as clean. I read here that 100% coconut oil with a 0 super fat works great so I'm giving it a try. Doesn't make sense to be trying to make soap and still buy soap for other stuff, lol! I have hard water so I'm hoping this will work with it.
Sorry, got to rambling
Thank you again!

New Question. The soap is hard, yay! It is still turns bright pink with the drop of phenolphthalein. Do I wait to cure it or just wear gloves and grate it? Then it would cure really quickly right so I could mix my detergent up fairly soon?

I don't think it will cure any more quickly grated than in the bar. It might lose moisture faster, but then it would be harder to grate.

I don't use phenolphthalein. I zap tested mine (knowing I would most likely get zapped) and was surprised when I didn't. I guess what they say about NaOH being not 100% pure is true. Anyway, I grated the next day no problem and didn't wear gloves, though I probably should have. My hands didn't burn but by the time I was done mixing everything together they were definitely dry. I'm with lsg - go ahead and great now (if you haven't already). A lot of other posts I read about making laundry soap, everyone seemed to grate the next day.

Back