Need Basic Soap Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm another who's never had sugar cause an issue with seizing....might cause overheating if you use too much and insulate...learned that really early on.
So, how much is "too much", Shari? Any other tips? I've never used sugar to bump lather, but I'd like to try it.

I use 1 tsp sugar ppo (13 gms ppo) dissolved in the water before adding lye and have never had a problem with overheating. I also really dislike castor oil. It speeds up trace no matter the % and it feels sticky to me but that's just personal opinion. YMMV.

Agreed - sugar(s) will help gel, and can overheat soap, but I have also never had sugar(s) seize soap.
I wasn't sure about that, ok, maybe I should try a little honey in my soap too. That actually sounds good. Thanks.

Spice: Not Diana, but Rooto is lye -- 100% NaOH, sold as Drain Cleaner at Ace Hardware and Lowes among others. On a side note, when I read "The best teacher is our mistakes." that reminded me of something that happened at lunch today. We had Chinese take out. My fortune cookie paper said "Failure is the Mother of Success." So, well said!
So if I use Rooto to cure my olives, that's ok, since it takes lye for that? This is a set-up question, because what I really want to say is that, if its not safe for my food, then why would I want to use it for my soap, some one will be paying their hard earned money for a product that I am making cheaply. I dont want to beat a dead horse, but....I hope that the bagel I will be eating tomorrow from the bagel house, is not made with drain cleaner. Dont want to sound rude, if so my apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I use Rooto to cure my olives, that's ok, since it takes lye for that? This is a set-up question, because what I really want to say is that, if its not safe for my food, then why would I want to use it for my soap, some one will be paying their hard earned money for a product that I am making cheaply. I dont want to beat a dead horse, but....I hope that the bagel I will be eating tomorrow from the bagel house, is not made with drain cleaner. Dont want to sound rude, if so my apologies.
There is food grade NaOH and technical grade and either are fine for soap. I personally am not going to pay the price for food grade when my technical grade works perfectly and Does Not cheapen my soap. I am not making olives or bagels. 100% NaOH drain cleaner is just technical grade. Once the soap is properly made and cured there is no lye left.

I agree with the others. I've used Rooto lye with no issues. I have no problem using it. I use both technical grade and food grade depending on cost. Makes no difference in soap. Making food, different story.

I use a tsp ppo. I’ve done a T ppo but it tends to heat quote a bit. But I always use milk so that’s got added sugar too.
Thank You.gif

For me food grade NaOH is cheaper when I include shipping costs. A few folks here have said they can get industrial lye drain cleaner very cheaply, but I have not found that to be the case anywhere I have shopped, including hardware stores, and the like. I have been to all 50 states and I do look for lye on my travels because I often make soap when I travel. The last state I looked for 'cheap 100% lye drain cleaner was Lowe's in a town in Arkansas; it cost $14.95 per bottle, the same as it does in Tractor Supply Company in that same town. The cheapest I have yet to find it in any store anywhere so far, has been $13.95 per bottle. Plus tax, that's still roughly $5.00 more per pound than I pay for food grade lye with shipping included.

Granted, I have not looked for technical grade lye online for a cost comparison. Maybe one day I will and see what I come up with.

But for now, I have no problem using technical grade lye in the soaps I make when I travel because there is simply no lye left in the soap anyway. I would need to be convinced that it is in a very tangible way harmful in the finished soap, and I am not convinced.

For me food grade NaOH is cheaper when I include shipping costs. A few folks here have said they can get industrial lye drain cleaner very cheaply, but I have not found that to be the case anywhere I have shopped, including hardware stores, and the like. I have been to all 50 states and I do look for lye on my travels because I often make soap when I travel. The last state I looked for 'cheap 100% lye drain cleaner was Lowe's in a town in Arkansas; it cost $14.95 per bottle, the same as it does in Tractor Supply Company in that same town. The cheapest I have yet to find it in any store anywhere so far, has been $13.95 per bottle. Plus tax, that's still roughly $5.00 more per pound than I pay for food grade lye with shipping included.

Granted, I have not looked for technical grade lye online for a cost comparison. Maybe one day I will and see what I come up with.

But for now, I have no problem using technical grade lye in the soaps I make when I travel because there is simply no lye left in the soap anyway. I would need to be convinced that it is in a very tangible way harmful in the finished soap, and I am not convinced.
I pay approx $.47 per lb from a chemical supply company, Gallade, in 50lb bags. It always amazes me that their price has not increased in the 6 yrs I have been purchasing from them. I remember when I first started soaping and purchased Rooto from a local hardware store I asked how much I would have to purchase to get a price break and was told 50lbs. I remember thinking I could never use that much, well 7+yrs down the road I am going through 2-3 bags a year. Who knew....

I pay approx $.47 per lb from a chemical supply company, Gallade, in 50lb bags. It always amazes me that their price has not increased in the 6 yrs I have been purchasing from them. I remember when I first started soaping and purchased Rooto from a local hardware store I asked how much I would have to purchase to get a price break and was told 50lbs. I remember thinking I could never use that much, well 7+yrs down the road I am going through 2-3 bags a year. Who knew....
I also look for chemical supply stores in my area for my lye. Most places here will require a business license, but not all do, so it's good to shop around. Also most prefer if you pick it up over shipping it, and it's cheaper for all involved for that as well.

I wonder how much is label appeal? I use food grade NaOH, even though we all know that lye does cancel out, my audience does not. I buy from a Chem Company in Sac, CA, a lb comes to 2.40, the break down is do able for the price of my soap. Since I have this face that I make when talking to people (which I can't stand), if I was asked, about the NaOH that I use, I would say, "Rooto/Draino". I would never see that person again. So for 2.40/lb, .15/Oz ( I use 8 Oz=1.20),/17 bars=.07 of overhead/bar; so for label appeal, less stress, and a happy, bubbly answer to some one. I will keep doing what I am doing, but.....hey, its all good, we get soap, we get on and as long as it comes out suds.....that's no lye.

I wonder how much is label appeal
For lye? Not sure it matters unless you purposely point it out, because INCI is still sodium hydroxide no matter whether it's food grade or technical grade.
I have never ever, been asked what brand of lye I use. Ever.

I also look for chemical supply stores in my area for my lye. Most places here will require a business license, but not all do, so it's good to shop around. Also most prefer if you pick it up over shipping it, and it's cheaper for all involved for that as well.
I had to show my resale license in order to purchase from them and California Driver License. Also it has to be picked up in a truck with enclosed bed or in a car with a separate trunk. No SUV's, or they ship to a commercial/business address not residential. But the price difference is worth the little bit of hassle.

I also only list Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide on my label. Very few customers ask about it, other than wanting to know what it is. I have never had anyone ask if it is food grade, also most people do not know lye is used in curing some food items and used in baked goods, such as bagels and pretzels. Just a little side note, FDA does not recognize the term saponified oils of.....ujnless that has changed

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back