Need a fast growing TALL flower, bushy type would be good

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Ok so I would like to plant a TALL (over 3') FAST growing flower for along my fence. Bushy leaves would be good. It doesn't have to flower fast but help block out fast is what I am after.
It is to BLOCK out the dog next door from seeing the chickens. I don't even care if it is ugly 😂

Any ideas? I am in Massachusetts with sandy loam soil, full sun the the morning and shade in late afternoon.

edit, the fence won't hold weight so it would need to be free standing plants, at least 3 feet............ not inches as someone pointed out to me.. I'm such a dolt

Last edited:
Any deciduous shrub you plant will lose it's leaves late autumn - early spring.
Here's an idea -- Google stop neighbors dog barking device. There's lots to choose from -- all legal too! 😁
I'm just looking for a quick simple fix with out having any more issues with the guy next to me........... and the dog doesn't bark, that's not the issue

Looks like Hollyhocks grow fast, not a lot of leaves but tall...

Tomatoe plants. Plant in 5 gallon buckets if you don't want them in the ground plant about 2ft apart.
Look for ones that are indeterminate, means they grow kinda wild instead of compact.
You can fertilize with a nitrogen rich fertilizer to speed up growth. I've had some plants grow over 4 ft wide

What about bamboo? I don't know whether it has been mentioned.

What about bamboo? I don't know whether it has been mentioned.
Bamboo can be quite invasive! True, very fast growing, but one needs to very careful where planting bamboo and consider the long term effect of planting where it can spread.

My parents planted bamboo along the side of our house and I loved to look, but it required constant tending to prevent it from encroaching the entire space, even under the fence and into the neighbor's yard. That was a very tall variegated variety.

I knew a couple who planted a shorter darker different variety that spread out and covered their backyard in a couple of years when left unattended.

I tried growing some of my parents shoots in pots, but it did not survive a season, so although I have seen container plantings of bamboo, not all varieties will survive the confinement.

How tall is the dog? The dog will still be able to smell the chickens. Do the chickens need screening from the dog so they don’t see him or her? I sent you a private message. Love dogs, love gardening, love making soap!

Bamboo can be quite invasive! True, very fast growing, but one needs to very careful where planting bamboo and consider the long term effect of planting where it can spread.

My parents planted bamboo along the side of our house and I loved to look, but it required constant tending to prevent it from encroaching the entire space, even under the fence and into the neighbor's yard. That was a very tall variegated variety.

I knew a couple who planted a shorter darker different variety that spread out and covered their backyard in a couple of years when left unattended.

I tried growing some of my parents shoots in pots, but it did not survive a season, so although I have seen container plantings of bamboo, not all varieties will survive the confinement.
There are two types of bamboo…clumping and spreading. If you get the clumping type it will pretty much stay put. The spreading type will find its way into your neighbors yard a block away by spreading underground.

I only know this because i just researched it a few weeks ago lol. I decided to play it safe and stay away none the less, because if you dont really know better when buying, it might turn into a nightmare. But there definitely IS a species that wont spread.

They also have underground containments to keep the spreading type from getting out of hand, but there is no guarantee

Even the vaigated clumping bamboo, which my parents planted, did spread, though somewhat slowly in comparison to the type my aforementioned young couple planted. Over the course of less than 20 years it had almost filled in the side-yard from the fence to the house with the path getting narrower and narrower even with 6 kids and their friends trekking over it to beat down the path. It is a chore to dig it all up and clear the ground of it when one chooses to sell the house (as happened a few years after my mom died.)

Even the vaigated clumping bamboo, which my parents planted, did spread, though somewhat slowly in comparison to the type my aforementioned young couple planted. Over the course of less than 20 years it had almost filled in the side-yard from the fence to the house with the path getting narrower and narrower even with 6 kids and their friends trekking over it to beat down the path. It is a chore to dig it all up and clear the ground of it when one chooses to sell the house (as happened a few years after my mom died.)
Now I am REALLY glad i didn't trust it lol

Back