Mystery Base Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeblossom

Reaction score
So when I moved into this house, (um, err, 6 years ago heeheee) I was in the middle of making soap. I had put oils in a pot (a combo of maybe palm, coconut and olive, though, I'm not sure if I put in all or just some of them. Also, I don't know which recipe I was using, so I dn't know amounts.

Is there anyway to salvage this (I'm cleaning out my basement and just found it, in a lidded pot, waiting patiently for me)???

I know, I think it's a little gross that it's so old, but perhaps I can use it for something. It's a few lbs. but I could weigh it to find out exactly. maybe there is no use for soap (I do CP soap), or maybe someone has a brilliant idea for a way to soap unknown oils.

Or any other ideas? Lots and lots of ................... something?

If not, how would one dispose of 6 lbs or so of oil?

As much as it hurts I would suck it up and chuck it. Maybe if it had been in an air tight container I would consider messing with it but a pot in the basement with mystery oil combo, nah. Rancid oil is the nastiest stuff. Probably has dust and floaters in it too I would imagine. Maybe someone with a lot more experience than myself will have an idea for you though. Interested to see....

I'm leaning towards chucking it, but it was tightly lidded, with a bigger lid over it. I checked--no dust, no floaters, and no foul smell. That's why I have even considered it.

Trash day is Friday, so that gives me a few days to think about it.

I would say weigh it out and hot process a 2 pound batch. I would estimate how much oils that you used by how much you normally use of each. Throw it in the pot and hp a batch. Leave it sit for a week or two then use on your car, laundry, grill or to clean your tub if it dont smell bad. I would never attempt to sell it but I wouldnt let that much oil go to waste without giving it a shot.

I've never done HP. Are you saying to do this for a particular reason? I've been doing CP for 10 years now, and have just never attempted HP. BUT, I am up for learning something new.

Thanks for the suggestion to use it for laundry, cleaning etc. I think that is a brilliant idea. I'm going to seriously consider this!

I was thinking that if you do a 2 lb batch of hp that you could find out if it is good or not sooner than by doing it cp so then you wouldnt waste the lye on the oil if it starts smelling rancid during the cook. I dont know that is how it works though, I haven't ever used oils that could be rancid, but it would be worth a try. I have cooked with rancid oil once and as soon as it hit the heat, it smelled BAD. I found it in my cabinet and thought it was a newer one...boy was I wrong. YUCK.

Back