My silly experiment near the radiator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delicious

Reaction score
My first two batches were made in the same week.
My first recipe was 100% olive oil
My second was 70% olive, 23% coconut and 7% castor

That was one month ago.
They are both still kind of soft (well, at least softer than my tallow soaps I made afterwards).

I wanted to see if the water would evaporate more quickly (thus accelerating the hardening?) if placed in a warm spot so I put them close to the radiator. It's just one of my (probably silly) experiments. (I know about doing a water discount in the first place)
While the olive oil soap stayed as is (although got a little softer), the second batch almost melted. The exterior was firm(ish) but the inside got really mushy. So I put the second batch back in the cold part of the house.

I didn't believe people when they would say that 100% OO makes a hard bar after a good cure. Now, even though the cure isn't over, I understand better cause it's harder than my second batch which contains coconut oil (does that make sens?).
Both batches are superfatted about the same (6-7%), the water content could play a part too (31% for OO, 38% for mix oils). Neither one went through gel.

I left the 100% olive soap close to the radiator for a couple of days but left some soaps from that batch in the colder place to compare and see if it would work. I do believe that the soap placed next to the radiator is a little harder than the witness soaps. Only slightly though.

I just wanted to share and see if other people have tried such things.

i've read somewhere... in this forum

some people using oven

they preheat oven 1st, turn if off then put those soap inside...

but i dont sure it will cut curing time

i think the oven has been used to help the soap go through gel phase, or at least thats what i plan to do.

Latest posts

Back