My first m&p soap making attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I bought a melt and pour soap base and used a double boiler method to melt the base. But the bottom portion would melt but the top layer kept drying i was trying for more than 30 mins but the base just would not melt.

When i called up the m&p seller, she told me the soap base would not melt like that and it would melt only with highest temp in microwave.

Very disappointed! please clarify

Was your pan covered? That works to keep the heat in and moisture in to melt it easier.
Also, did you cut the base up into small pieces first?
30 minutes is way too long, it should have been completely melted way before then.

Can I ask where you bought the base? I can't think of any reason that it would only melt in the microwave and not a double boiler.

Thank you.

I did not cover the pot. But when i see so many soap making videos the m&p melts so easily, but this one just did not.

are there any components which are added in the base which would result in this. The seller told me the only way this would melt is when there is even temperature all around.

by the way i poured it in the mold anyways all the froth stayed on top and i had a clear good soap at the bottom, so i just cut all the hardened froth off, the soap is looking a lot better now. not looking harmful either.

But i would want to really start making a good soap base myself. can anyone help me with an easy recipe for a starter like me. Thank you

Sunny shine said:
are there any components which are added in the base which would result in this. The seller told me the only way this would melt is when there is even temperature all around.

Without knowing the ingredients of the base, I couldn't tell you, honestly. There are so many different suppliers of mp and most of them have different ingredients.

I've melted mp in a double broiler with the cover off and it's melted just fine. It melts easier with it on obviously, but it still melted way before 1/2 an hour with it off.

Sunny shine said:
When i called up the m&p seller, she told me the soap base would not melt like that and it would melt only with highest temp in microwave.

I'm curious who the seller is since bases should melt either in a microwave or on a stove. Heat is heat. It doesn't matter about the source. I've used bases from different sellers and I've never had a problem with them melting in a double boiler. Do you have an ingredient list for this base?

BTW, try spritzing the top of the soap with rubbing alcohol after you've poured it. It gets rid of froth and bubbles.

I use a metal candle-type pour pot to melt my M&P - set it in a pan of water on the stove, set temp on med-low and stir occasionally. I do not use the microwave for fear of getting too hot and I don't want to have to stand there and watch the stuff. With the stove temp set on low to med, I can walk away without worry. Now, the M&P can form a film on the top during melting but an occasional stir takes care of that problem.

Latest posts

Back