Mostly Palm Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldragbagger

Reaction score
I have been making mostly olive oil recipes from the beginning. I was in Trader Joe's recently and whenever I see natural soaps in stores I have to check out the ingredients. I noticed their soaps are made from pretty much 2 or 3 ingredients, palm oil, palm kernal oil and coconut oil (some but not all have the coconut oil). No olive oil listed at all.

Well it just so happens I have a big bucket of palm oil downstairs but I'm running a little low on olive and I am in the mood to try something different. Does anyone hear make a soap that uses mostly palm as the base oil. I will use coconut also and will probably add a butter or maybe superfat with some jojoba.

Anyone....anyone....?

I usually soap 50% palm and today I'm soaping 50% palm, 5% jojoba, coconut, castor, safflower and soybean. I read some mix safflower and palm to counter act some percieved negative properties of palm.

It just so happened I always combined palm and safflower and have only had positive results.

Palm's negative image has nothing to do with it's soaping qualities. Blending it with other oils doesn't impact it except that you are using less of it.

I assume, Carebear, you are referring to the environmental issues when you talk about it's negative image. So, then, are you saying it is acceptable as a majority base oil?

Absolutely on both counts!

You will probably want to boost it's lather with some coconut oil or something, but it's very similar to lard which makes a magnificent bar as well.

Back