Quantcast

Monster mold

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is a mold my beekeeping coworker made for me out of a "short" bee frame. I just did the measurements. It is 18x15x5. If I fill to a max pour depth of 4.5" that is 486 oz.--roughly 30 lbs! That is one freakin' B/A mold! I'm going to try for a 20# pour this weekend. That will be roughly 3" deep. I'm needing some Bastille.

Edit: the inserts cone out. This is also a huge slab mold. :smile:

image.jpg

Last edited:

galaxyMLP

SPONSOR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That mold actually intimidates me. I guess I'm not there yet. I like my 5.5 lb batches. Makes 18 bars and I'm happy with that.

Just curious, do the sections leak into eachother? Sometimes when I line my mold I get "seepage" under the liner (mine are HDPE so I dont worry about it). I would worry that in this mold it would run into the other. If not, thats super cool/useful b/c you could make multiple batches in that same mold w/o having to clean it out ect.

What a nice friend you have!

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I was kind of disappointed when I clicked on this...lol... I was expecting a monster mold... as in Halloween monster...but that is a monster mold :)

kumudini

Reaction score
Awesome mold Teresa. Wish I had such friends, who could make something. But since I don't, I guess I will just have to buy something like a wine bottle box from Amazon, if I feel like I need to do a monster batch.
But Teresa, 20 lb is still a minimum 60-70 bars, I wouldn't want to do a single recipe if I'm not selling. 30 was the max I did because my friends keep requesting that one bar and I love that too, my lavender and orange bar with scrubby orange zest in it and one more recipe, my husbands favorite mint and star anise. He goes through a lot of soap very fast.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nice mold for sure. I make a lot of soap but never make more than 15 lbs at a time. It will fill 3 of my 5 lb molds. I also have a 12lb slab mold and I can get 3 loafs from that. But with that yours you can also make several different recipes and fill one spot at a time.

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Very good points about leakage and the fact that it will make 60 - 70 bars. I've never used the inserts, so I don't know if they'll leak. I don't even know if the mold will actually HOLD 20# of batter. I've only used it once for a 5# column pour. I did test it out by putting three 7# bottles of oil in there and jostling it up and down. The bottles didn't make the bottom fall out. That's a good thing in a soap mold, right?

I actually chickened out after I posted this. I pulled up my Bastile recipe and discovered I used tallow, not lard. I don't have enough tallow to make a 20# Bastile. So, I'm going to do a 1# lard Bastile and a 1# tallow Bastile with no fragrance. I'll let them cure side by side and compare them after six weeks. The one I like the best is the one I'll make in my monster mold. Then, I can let them cure for a year and sell them at the yard sale next August. If they develop DOS or something else goes wrong, then I'll toss them and start all over. It's just soap.

I figure I've got seven years before I can retire. I'll get into panic mode in six years if I still haven't figured out how to make a product that will support me when I don't have a nice cushy job anymore. Actually, if I can't figure this out in six years, some one better shoot me and put me out of my misery. :smile:

ETA: I'm sorry Stacyspy! I should have put mega mold or behemoth.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you line them properly, they shouldn't leak much if at all. Sometimes a little from the corners.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
Bahaha...no worries. I'm already in Halloween mode, so I thought ooh...I wonder why I hadn't seen them anywhere...lol

Very good points about leakage and the fact that it will make 60 - 70 bars. I've never used the inserts, so I don't know if they'll leak. I don't even know if the mold will actually HOLD 20# of batter. I've only used it once for a 5# column pour. I did test it out by putting three 7# bottles of oil in there and jostling it up and down. The bottles didn't make the bottom fall out. That's a good thing in a soap mold, right?

I actually chickened out after I posted this. I pulled up my Bastile recipe and discovered I used tallow, not lard. I don't have enough tallow to make a 20# Bastile. So, I'm going to do a 1# lard Bastile and a 1# tallow Bastile with no fragrance. I'll let them cure side by side and compare them after six weeks. The one I like the best is the one I'll make in my monster mold. Then, I can let them cure for a year and sell them at the yard sale next August. If they develop DOS or something else goes wrong, then I'll toss them and start all over. It's just soap.

I figure I've got seven years before I can retire. I'll get into panic mode in six years if I still haven't figured out how to make a product that will support me when I don't have a nice cushy job anymore. Actually, if I can't figure this out in six years, some one better shoot me and put me out of my misery. :smile:

ETA: I'm sorry Stacyspy! I should have put mega mold or behemoth.

galaxyMLP

SPONSOR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you line them properly, they shouldn't leak much if at all. Sometimes a little from the corners.
You're right, I do get lazy when lining mine since its HDPE and I dont really have to worry about it touching raw wood. When I take more time with it I get, alot less leaks. I just had a batch leak pretty bad the other night so I really just need to be more careful.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
*passes the giant roll of freezer paper* Here, you're going to need this :)

I'd love to see that full of all different soaps in progress! And talk about heat retention if you filled that up...gel city! :lol: