milk soap losing conditioning effect as it ages...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
I made a milk soap using jersey milk instead of water--
56% O.O
23% PKO
4% COCO
9% castor
5% lard
and 7% supperfatting.
It turned out well and left your skin feeling silky soft.
I have noticed as it has aged over the last 4-5 months or so the silky -conditioning feeling has gotten less and less.
Any thoughts as to why that might be?
I would appreciate any feed back..
thanks...

I use Jersey milk often in my soaps and you cannot tell the difference between those and the goatmilk, really. They make a very creamy lather. I tried however to run your formula thru soap calc to see what the conditioning actually was, and it doesn't add up. Your percentages are off as they only come to 97%. Did you leave something out? Soap should indeed get milder and nicer as it ages.

Could it be the drying affects of winter thats making it feel different? I recently had to change soap when my regular bars were leaving me dried out.

peteyfoozer, you are correct concerning it doesn"t add up to 100 percent,.
I am rarely home, and was on the 'run" and was typing in a hurry and rounded the percentages to the whole number instead of adding the decimal, so of course the calculations don"t add up properly....
I have considered the possibility that because it is now winter everything is drier than before,( especially since we also have wood heat which dries things incredibly,)
and possibly this is making my skin drier and feeling less conditioned than before, but am not sure.
I am considering dropping the amount of OO and uping the lard a bit, as I know it sounds weird ,but personally I find OO on the drying side, and it seems my skin likes lard..
Do you think that would make a better conditioning bar with lower OO and higher lard?
thanks....

... it seems my skin likes lard..
Do you think that would make a better conditioning bar with lower OO and higher lard?
thanks....

I don't think so. But on a rinse off product your main objective is not to strip the natural oils from your skin. I think you are right that it is probably the season drying your skin, mine can get that way too in the winter. Perhaps you could use some of your lard to make a body butter? I make mine with tallow, but I'm sure you could do the same with lard. If it's too soft when you whip it, you could try and combine it with either coconut oil or cocoa butter to stiffen it up a little...The soap you made is probably fine and your skin just needs a little extra help AFTER you wash.

Latest posts

Back