Milk fat on soap calc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonam

Reaction score
Does anyone know if what they refer to as milk fat on soapcalc is butter or ghee? Just curious I've heard of soap being made of ghee but never heard much detailed info about that.

Here this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfat may be of some help too you. I mistakenly took milk fat to be sap value for cow milk :oops: when I came up with my first soap batch recipe. It's essentially butterfat or fat in milks. They do sell ghee, you'll likely find it in health food store or maybe if you have a farmer's market that's similar too Decatur Farmer's Market here in Atlanta, but I haven't seen it carried at Publix or Krogers, but do check they might carry it.

Butterfat

I haven't done soaps with butterfat in them on the advice of fellow soapers who have. I have heard that they stink to absolute high heaven.....you might wanna try a small test batch first.

eeeew! that certainlly isn't good. Is that the same for using cream or half and half in soaping as part of the liquids? I have some ghee around that i use for cooking, but i'll wait to hear how stinky this experiment might be :shock:

Sonam said:
eeeew! that certainlly isn't good. Is that the same for using cream or half and half in soaping as part of the liquids? I have some ghee around that i use for cooking, but i'll wait to hear how stinky this experiment might be :shock:

Actually, the component that makes it stinky is butyric acid....and it's in the fat, so half and half you might be able to get away with....or not.

I'm not chancing it.

Back