Michael's first batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_schaap

Reaction score
Well it happened. Yesterday. I made my first batch. Had a little juggling to do with not having a container big enough for the olive oil. Nor water, but this will change with the second batch. I looked at it today and the top looks a little moist. Is this normal? I touched it and it's certainly solid but patches are moist. No bubbles within and everything is of a solid color.

(very heavy sigh)

I do have to say.... it was not what I expected. I mean with all the scare that friends gave me.... some books.... that it h as to be in a VERY WELL VENTILATED AREA.... maybe I was just lucky? All the stiring that I did was under the hood of the stove fan so that was not an issue. You know the most problemsome issue was that my safety goggles feel apart. No literally feel apart right in the middle.... oy... that was fun :)

Michael

Thank you for the congrats. Pictures are on the way. Do you think the moisture on the top is normal?

Pictures on the way though.

Michael

it's hard to say about the moisture - maybe it overheated and sweated?

Seem to have a technical problem with getting images on here. The card I have does not seem to fit the computer... grrrrr.... mine is out and this is my wife's computer.

Michael

What is clear is the top of the tupperware container saged a bit and was on top of the soap. Hmmm.... Day two is tomorrow. Should I open the top and let it sit open for a bit? I'm going to make a wooden one I think that won't sage. I saw something like it on youtube.

Michael

Looked at it again. Just small beads of droplets. I took the cover off for the night to see if they go away by morning.

Well the soap is safe. The mold I used was a tupperware thing. IT WAS NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING! I ended up cutting it out of the mold! Next time as god as my witness I'm going to use wax paper lined in something! Well it does not look the most pretty thing, but I'm planning to re batch some anyways. Does tupperware molds generally give this kind of problem?

Michael

"Does tupperware molds generally give this kind of problem?"

I used a tupperware box for my very first batch andI had the same problem. After that I used a cardboard box line with a bin bag while I was waiting on something better to come along!!

Silicone loaf molds are good and you don't need to line them, but my favourite mold has to be my wooden log mold!! I love it :)

I hope your wife is going to try out your soap!! :lol: Have you managed to convince her?[/quote]

I used Rubbermaid for a couple of years before I got wooden molds. I just made sure to line them. No problems then.

By the way...congratulations. :D

Laurie

Thank you. Oy am I ever going to line whatever I use next time. I took the largest pair of scissors I had and just cut out the mold. Did not know what else to do. Just would not buge for nothing. Well I did not have gloves on you know and was worried that my hands were going to hurt. Again... not what I expected. Nothing. Man.... fear has it's way to get in the way of things you have always wanted to do huh.

Michael

Latest posts

Back