Menthol Crystals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ourwolfden

Reaction score
I bought some menthol crystals to make a foot scrub. I am going to have a lot left over so I thought I’d ask all you wonderful and smart people for ideas / recipes / etc using menthol crystals. I would really like to make a sore muscle lotion with it (with some added eucalyptus EO) but I can’t find a good recipe.

Thank you, I can’t wait to see what comes up!

Here is a recipe for a foot balm:
4 grams e-wax
12 grams shea butter
2 grams hemp seed oil
2 grams avocado oil
8 drops Vit. E
2 drops tea tree EO
2 drops peppermint EO
.3 grams menthol crystals

Melt e-wax, shea butter, avocado, and hemp oils together in double boiler. Take off heat and add a small pinch of methol crystals, stir until dissolved. Add Vit. E and stir. Add essential oils and stir well. Pour into container. Wait until mixture reaches room temp.; cap and label.

Cooling body powder, like for in the summer to keep you dry and cool and also foot powder. 0.5% menthol for a cooling body powder (like medicated gold bond) and 1% for a foot powder. You can add 1% zinc oxide as well for really good skin soothing (its calamine). I make my powders with an arrowroot and tapioca starch base, and then add things like zinc oxide, colloidal oatmeal/oatmeal flour, methol crystals, and you can scent with EOs by placing a cotton pad with the EO on it in the powder and leaving in a closed container for a while shaking frequently to disperse the scent through the powder.

I made a foot soak the other night that kept my feet cold all night long! I really made it for the hubby but tried it out after he was done. I must have put to much in because I swear I couldn't get my feet warm all night and every time I moved them I thought the bed was wet! But it did make my feel feel pretty good.

Quick question, will menthol crystals dissolve in witch hazel? I make an aftershave gel and my husband would like some menthol in it but I've not used them before.....Thank you!

Why not try dissolving it first in a little denatured alcohol or vodka, then add the Witch Hazel?

Here you go:

• 4 oz Epsom Salt

• 4 oz Fine Dead Sea Salt

• .20 oz Menthol Crystals

• 40 Drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil

• 40 Drops Lemon Essential Oil

Add all the ingredients above into a food processor. Mix or pulse until all ingredients are fine ground. Store in jar or zip lock baggy. Clean Food Processor thoroughly. Please use gloves when handling Menthol Crystals – as to not transfer from hands to eyes or other sensitive parts of your body.

Back