Mechanic / Gardner / Black Smith Cold Process Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinidad Kelly

Reaction score
I have a few friends that are mechanics and are struggling to keep their hands clean. I want to offer them a Mechanic / Gardener / Black Smith Cold or Hot Process Soap Bar but they have a special request. They currently use Saw Dust when they wash their hands for the scrubbing effect; has anyone ever used dried saw dust in a soap as an exfoliant? Also; the degreasing aspect; I recall making a note from a topic in the forum where someone said they used Mineral Oil. I would like an alternative to that for the degreasing purposes. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. (I've done searches and taken notes on using borax)

I'd be concerned that the sawdust could create splinters, and also contain chemicals that would create DOS in the soap. Fine pumice, coffee grounds, ground seeds/nuts, ground loofah - these all play nice in soap and add varying levels of scrubbiness.

For degreasing, I prefer d-limonene. If that's not available to you, try Orange EO which is high in limonene. I'd recommend 5x or 10x if you can get it.

I'd be concerned that the sawdust could create splinters, and also contain chemicals that would create DOS in the soap. Fine pumice, coffee grounds, ground seeds/nuts, ground loofah - these all play nice in soap and add varying levels of scrubbiness.

For degreasing, I prefer d-limonene. If that's not available to you, try Orange EO which is high in limonene. I'd recommend 5x or 10x if you can get it.
Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated

Big yes on the borax! In my mechanics soap, I use coffee grounds, shredded loofah, and poppy seeds. It's one of my most requested soaps.
Wonderful, may I please ask, where to get shredded loofah? I have some whole loofah already but can't seem to shred them. I've tried cutting them into small pieces and putting them in a grinder but it's not working.

Latest posts

Back