Maui Wildfires

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Please pray for all the victims of the catastrophic wildfires in Maui, and especially for the safety of those who choose to remain there to volunteer wherever help is needed. Like my daughter, Sarah. She lives in Kihei. Her last text last night was “The fire sparked back up but it’s in North Kihei and across the highway. So if it stays there, we will be safe. The winds (from hurricane Dora) are finally starting to die down so we can contain this tonight!”

For updates:
Maui Now : Maui News, Weather, Entertainment & More : Hawaii News

Kihei Fire Suppression
Kīhei fire photos: fire suppression efforts continue | Maui Now

Last edited by a moderator:
Please pray for all the victims of the catastrophic wildfires in Maui, and especially for the safety of those who choose to remain there to volunteer wherever help is needed. Like my daughter, Sarah. She lives in Kihei. Her last text last night was “The fire sparked back up but it’s in North Kihei and across the highway. So if it stays there, we will be safe. The winds (from hurricane Dora) are finally starting to die down so we can contain this tonight!”

For updates:
Maui Now : Maui News, Weather, Entertainment & More : Hawaii News

Kihei Fire Suppression
Kīhei fire photos: fire suppression efforts continue | Maui Now
Prayers for safety and protection 🙏

UPDATE:

Wednesday Aug 9 - Noon MDT
"It’s so f-ing scary right now. The fires in Kula are terrible, one started in Kīhei and they are trying to evacuate Maui Meadows. Front street in Lahaina burned to the ground, some people had to jump in the ocean to avoid the flames, many of my friends families lost homes. I can’t believe this is happening."

Wednesday Aug 9 - 11PM MDT
This came in just as Sarah was going to sleep.

“The fire sparked back up but it’s in North Kihei and across the highway from me. So if it stays there, we will be safe. The winds (from hurricane Dora) are finally starting to die down so we can contain this tonight!”

Zany writes: Never underestimate the Power of Intent. All our prayers and good thoughts are paying off! Read on...

Thursday Aug 10 - 5:50 PM MDT
The Kihei fire was contained at the highway.

“The winds have calmed a bit today, so search and rescue begins. If you check my IG I posted some of the legit places to donate. I walked Koa this morning with Phoebe, our dog sitter. And she said she’s been watching some of the firefighters dogs while they are out. Evidently we have lost 5 firefighters, along with 36 civilians. It’s really tragic. They are bussing the survivors out of Lahaina today and there are two new shelters opening so we are just trying to get supplies to everyone.”

NOTE: Sarah has the opportunity to leave. She has family in Oahu and on the Big Island where she can wait until it's safe to return. She and her friends are determined to stay to help wherever help is needed.

I am beyond shocked, the photos show such complete devastation. And the death toll climbs. I cannot imagine what your daughter and her friends are feeling right now, Zany — and you, too! Echoing Ephemerella, and praying for safety and strength for all involved. 🙏

Thanks for your personal information about your daughter and the update. Mine lives on the Big Island and have had some scares with the volcano and a couple of hurricanes. Like your family, they could leave but prefer to stay and help those who need it. Blessings to yours. Help is needed, and helpers are needed more.

UPDATE from Sarah in Kehei:

Saturday Aug 12 - 9 AM MDT

If anyone wants to send stuff via Amazon, they can send it to my office:

Sarah Mater
Property Manager
128 Kio Loop
Kīhei Hi 96753

We need tampons, pads, baby wipes, baby food, tents, cots, blankets. We have a big truck we are using to drive supplies to the people stuck on the west side.

Some of our owners are giving up their condos to displaced
people so now that I’m back at work I’m able to match people with places to stay.

Oprah, who owns a house in Kula dropped by the shelter for a photo op - oh, sorry I meant she stopped by to bring some cots and pillows.

Jeff Bezos who owns land in Makena donated $100 million.

We are finding out more info. The MFD (Maui Fire Dept) didn’t have the manpower to evacuate people in Lahaina Town since they were fighting 3 fires and we hadn’t gotten off island support yet. The warning signals also never went off.

The body count is rising and it’s just so sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not Oprah, but we all can do what we can according to our ability. I'm wrapping/labeling up some soaps to send to Sarah along with some washcloths. 🥰

Latest posts

Back