Master batch lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thegecko
I have a question. Since I weigh my lye and water separate and then mix, and pretend it is 5 oz lye to 10 oz for a total of 15 oz. If I was using master batch, then I would weigh out 15 oz of it to come up with the amount I need to match the above. Is this correct? I know this might be intuitive but thought I would ask to be positive just in case.
Thanks
gww
Here in India we go with Gms. I find the Oz v confusing. From what I understand. 13% lye is a good thumb rule. But intution. Does not work. U need to do the math.

Wow.. thank you for this insight. .. I do 1: 1 lye to water and the other 1 I like to use other liquids. Most of my soaps have Aloe and milk

You can do a full water replacement with Aloe Vera and Milk, but I know you can't Master Batch with milk...I don't know about Aloe.

I have a question. Since I weigh my lye and water separate and then mix, and pretend it is 5 oz lye to 10 oz for a total of 15 oz. If I was using master batch, then I would weigh out 15 oz of it to come up with the amount I need to match the above. Is this correct? I know this might be intuitive but thought I would ask to be positive just in case.

All you would need to do is run your recipe through your calculator, then add the Water and Lye and then pour that total.

As an example...for 14oz of Oils, my recipe says I need 3.93 oz of Water and 1.93 oz of Lye. The total is 5.86 oz so that is what I would weigh out of my premade Lye Solution.

Here in India we go with Gms. I find the Oz v confusing. From what I understand. 13% lye is a good thumb rule. But intution. Does not work. U need to do the math.

Soap Calculators give weights in Pounds, Ounces and Grams. 5.86 oz = 72.05 grams.

Because I also masterbatch my oils, I have a spreadsheet that lists every mold I own and the total weight it holds. I then spent about an hour calculating how much Oils, Lye Solution and FO I would need to fill each mold. When it's time to make soap, I simply grab my mold, refer to my spreadsheet, weigh out my oils, toss in the microwave. Weigh out my Lye Solution, add in my Sodium Lactate. Weigh out my FO, add in my Kaolin Clay. Pull the melted oils out, and go from there.

Soap Calculators give weights in Pounds, Ounces and Grams. 5.86 oz = 72.05 grams.

Because I also masterbatch my oils, I have a spreadsheet that lists every mold I own and the total weight it holds. I then spent about an hour calculating how much Oils, Lye Solution and FO I would need to fill each mold. When it's time to make soap, I simply grab my mold, refer to my spreadsheet, weigh out my oils, toss in the microwave. Weigh out my Lye Solution, add in my Sodium Lactate. Weigh out my FO, add in my Kaolin Clay. Pull the melted oils out, and go from there.
Cool.. I can't be bothered with . 05& . Whatever no.. for the o to gms. Also I have donated my microwave much before I started soaping. Since o bake professonally. I invested in an oven.. don't have space for anything else..

I wish we had someone like Marie kondo for. Soaping . Everytime I want a mold when I pull it out. Everything is a mess. Everytime I remove an EO or FO. I have to pull boxes out and place them on the floor... It's taxing

You can do a full water replacement with Aloe Vera and Milk, but I know you can't Master Batch with milk...I don't know about Aloe.

All you would need to do is run your recipe through your calculator, then add the Water and Lye and then pour that total.

As an example...for 14oz of Oils, my recipe says I need 3.93 oz of Water and 1.93 oz of Lye. The total is 5.86 oz so that is what I would weigh out of my premade Lye Solution.
I run it through soap calc.. but I rerun my own sap values from soaping uk. N there is a difference of almost 10ml.. coz I just started masterbatching I am going to stick to distilled water. And thanks to corona and less pollution.. I have stocked up on rain water too . I also have water from Ganges :) I add a bit.

Everytime I want a mold when I pull it out. Everything is a mess. Everytime I remove an EO or FO. I have to pull boxes out and place them on the floor... It's taxing

Which is why I bought a rolling kitchen island. It's parked out of the way next to an outlet. I have a Command Hook for my Stick Blender and apron and a shelf above for all my colorants. Tools in the drawers, FOs on the side, oils/butters and molds inside the shelves.

649c3b27-90b2-4942-82c8-594506983bf5_1.0553162d33a6b217b20e3fa9ceebce41.jpeg

Which is why I bought a rolling kitchen island. It's parked out of the way next to an outlet. I have a Command Hook for my Stick Blender and apron and a shelf above for all my colorants. Tools in the drawers, FOs on the side, oils/butters and molds inside the shelves.

View attachment 62907
Nice 👍🏻👍🏻.. until I move into my own place and set up a workshed. Can't do much

Thegecko
Thanks
gww
The answer is... it depends. Some of us masterbatch at a 1:1 water:lye ratio, or a 50% lye solution. That allows us to have additional liquid that we can use when soaping to dissolve things like salt, sugar, citric acid/sodium citrate, etc.

But if you don't need or want to dissolve any additives, you can masterbatch your lye solution at the exact ratio you intend to use it. For example, your post mentioned using a 2:1 water:lye ratio (33% lye solution). You can premake a 33% solution rather than a 50% solution, and then yes, you would simply pour out the combined weight of water + lye.

Better yet, you can use the SoapmakingFriend calculator, and use the masterbatch lye function. That allows me to make a 50% lye solution masterbatch, and not have to do any math to figure out how much additional water I need to make the 40% solution that is my normal go-to. The calculator figures that out for me, and gives me one figure for my MB solution, and another figure for additional water (which I use to dissolve my additives). Check it out - it is really an awesome tool!

aliOop
I do also divert lye water for dissolving sodium citrate and sugar. I doubt I will be master batching at the rate of my production but would like to understand, just in case. I have gotten used to soap cal but may play with the other calculator next batch. You post was an added help to my understanding.
Thanks
gww

The answer is... it depends. Some of us masterbatch at a 1:1 water:lye ratio, or a 50% lye solution. That allows us to have additional liquid that we can use when soaping to dissolve things like salt, sugar, citric acid/sodium citrate, etc.

But if you don't need or want to dissolve any additives, you can masterbatch your lye solution at the exact ratio you intend to use it. For example, your post mentioned using a 2:1 water:lye ratio (33% lye solution). You can premake a 33% solution rather than a 50% solution, and then yes, you would simply pour out the combined weight of water + lye.

Better yet, you can use the SoapmakingFriend calculator, and use the masterbatch lye function. That allows me to make a 50% lye solution masterbatch, and not have to do any math to figure out how much additional water I need to make the 40% solution that is my normal go-to. The calculator figures that out for me, and gives me one figure for my MB solution, and another figure for additional water (which I use to dissolve my additives). Check it out - it is really an awesome tool!
Thank you.. will try out this calculator for my next batch ..

Thegecko
Thanks
gww
It depends on how you did your MB. I MB a 50-50 solution. So in your scenario, I would double the lye amount. So I would need 10 ounces total of masterbatch. The extra 5 ounces, I could add as any liquid, whether that be more water, milk, vinegar, etc.

Latest posts

Back