Master Batch Lye Solid?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
So, I made my master batch lye solution the other night, 50/50 water/sodium hydroxide. I mixed my water and sodium hydroxide outside- it was a little chilly but nowhere near freezing. I left it there for 2 nights and placed it in its safe storage area a couple of days ago.
I went to it today for soaping....and it's solid. It looks like ice, but it's been inside for several days now, and like I mentioned, it's not that cold here (lows in the mid-40s). Plus, the container doesn't feel cold.
So, what gives? Did I mis-measure something? Too much lye and not enough water or something?
ETA: I also put silk in when I was mixing the solution and I noticed that it hadn't even melted or dissolved.

Ok, so I just looked around online & I think I found an article that says a 50/50 solution will freeze at around 53 degrees F. Is that right?
If I thaw this in a water bath, will it still be ok to use?

Wow- that is interesting! I've never had that happen, but then again I've never made my lye 50/50 master-batch in ambient temps much below 70F. I'm not sure either way whether the info you found online is true or not (have never had need to check anything like that out before), but I'm sure DeeAnna would know the answer!

Take this for what it's worth- this is just me- but I would have no qualms about putting the container in a warm water bath in the sink and using enough to make a one-pound batch to test it out.

Hopefully, DeeAnna or anyone else with more expert info will chime in soon!

IrishLass :)

Yes, a 50% NaOH solution will become a thick gel when the temp drops below about 60F (15C). It will eventually freeze solid when it cools to the low 50s. Let the solution warm up to normal room temp and it will be fine. You could use a warm water bath to speed matters up, but if you don't want to fiddle, just give it time.

Interesting, learn something new every day. Never had this happen to me before but then I always make mine inside in my climate controlled house. Although it does get cold in some parts of the house I will be sure to put my lye master batch in a warm spot during the winter.

I learned this the hard way too, even though I'm a bit of a chemistry geek. o_O A couple of years ago during a bitter winter cold snap, my pantry got pretty chilly and the back corner on the floor where the lye was ended up being downright cold. I grabbed the lye container not thinking anything was amiss, went to the kitchen to make soap, and ... um ... hey ... my lye solution wouldn't pour. It was like clear jelly. Rummaging around in my library of geeky things, I found the answer.

Latest posts

Back