Mardi Gras Soap Challenge Photos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks DWin! I used a rubber spatula to swirl. This time I used evoo instead of pomace & my batter just wouldn't thicken like it does with pomace. So, with a cup in each hand, I poured 2 colors at a time, side by side down the length of the mold. I then swirled in every direction with my rubber spatula. Spooned my uncolored batter on top. Scraped what was left of the colored batters out of my mixing cups & drizzled them on top, then gently swirled them together. It didn't turn out the way I expected but I still think it came out nice & they smell wonderful!

Wonderful, everyone! I am at a farmers market for a little while yet, and will post pics of mine when i get home :). You are all so talented.

Everyone's soaps are so colourful and pretty!

Mine are a little plain looking, but I am loving them anyway. To recap what I said in the challenge thread, when I think of Mardis Gras and New orleans, I think of food and drink. So I decided to make a red beans and rice soap. I used Rice milk for my liquid, ground up some red beans as fine as I could get with a coffee grinder, and used lard as one of my oils to represent the ham.

Too soon to really give it a good tryout yet, but I think the rice milk really added a very silky feeling to the soap from the scraps I tried, and it's definitely an ingredient I would experiment with again. I imagine it would add a fair bit of label appeal for vegans, for anyone who sells their soap. Due to the natural sugars, add it to your soap the same as you would coconut, goats or any other milk, and don't be like me, and think "it has no fat, I'll just straight up add my lye" and burn the sugars in it, and have to mix your lye solution again.

bean powder.jpg

red beans n rice 1.jpg

beans n rice cut.jpg

The colors are all botanical: annatto, indigo, beta carotene and alkanet. Because of the way botanical colors work, they are made from three different lye batches.
Beautiful colors! Definitely Mardi Gras colors!
I have never gotten that true of a vibrant purple from Alkanet...do you mind sharing your method to achieve that purple? I use Alkanet all the time, but it's usually deep dark purple or some lighter duskier purple. Still recognizably purple, but not as vibrant as yours.

Yay mine turned out nice!

3_zpsdc0a5813.jpg

1_zpsf52ce387.jpg

2_zps98fadf57.jpg

Goat's milk soap with coconut, castor, grapeseed, lard, shea butter, a touch of cream, and kaolin clay. Fragrance is a Tangerine Yankee Candle dupe from Saveonscents. I used multicolored jojoba beads from BB and confetti shavings from other soaps of mine.

Hey all...there may be a few more stragglers to come in, which would be great, but before I get busy planning for work tomorrow, I wanted to thank everyone for playing along. This was really fun. I learned tons over the past few weeks from my own experimenting with various techniques and tips from reading this board. I'm not sure how or why I became interested in soap but it sure is fun. I feel sorta like Noah, when God told him to start building in arc...in the dessert. In a funny way, I feel like this is something He is calling me to do. Will be interesting to see where it goes. Let's pick another challenge and get to soaping. Maybe we could ask the board for suggestions, then vote on the winning theme for the next "Soap and Tell." Thanks again all...especially you experienced soapers for sharing your gifts and experience and putting up with us "newbies."

These are the ovals I made with the Crystal Lite cointainers...Would have been great IF I had remembered fragrance. Still...great little hand soaps for the powder room.
\

Gorgeous and I love the shape! I have a bunch of crystal lite - the packages are going in a ziploc bag so I can use the containers for molds! Did you line them or oil them down at all? Were they easy to get out of the mold?

Wow ll of you did such a beautiful job. Everyone's ideas pay excellent tribute to New Orleans and Mardi Gras. Thank you for sharing!

Where do you get those "sprinkles?"

Saveonscents made a fragrance oil for soapmaking that is a duplicate of Yankee Candle's Tangerine scent.

The little beads are jojoba beads from Brambleberry. The confetti is soap shavings.

I'm excited...would love to do another "soap and tell"......it was fun......and best of all was seeing everyone's creativity....pity we can't smell them though! :)

\

Gorgeous and I love the shape! I have a bunch of crystal lite - the packages are going in a ziploc bag so I can use the containers for molds! Did you line them or oil them down at all? Were they easy to get out of the mold?

Thanks. Like the Pringles thing, I cut the bottom off, flipped it over and used the top as the bottom secured with duct tape. I did line them w/ freezer paper, and they were still a little tough to remove, but I may have taken them out a bit early. They would be really nice in a stack of 5 to 6 1/2" thick bars stacked in a cellophane bag for a hostess or teacher gift. They would also make great "sample" soaps.

Back