Making CP soap without thermometer or stove

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SequimSoaper

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to making soap. I watched a video that teaches how to make cold process soap. Their method is different than I've seen and I am wondering if anyone has tried it.

Their method is to put room temperature water in a big pot and add the lye to it. Stir until lye is dissolved. Now start adding fats, hardest ones first. Continue stirring and adding fats; the heat from the lye water melts the fats. When melted, add any liquid oils. Start blending with a stick blender on and off until soap reaches trace. Add additives and pour into greased mold.

Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on this technique?

Thanks,
Cyndie :)

Ok where did you see that? I am curious. I don't see why it wouldn't work.They are using the fact lye water gets very hot to melt the oils and start process.

Hi Cyndi
That method is called room temperature cold process or RTCP . If you are brand new to soap making , it might not be the best thing to try first off . If the lye & oil mixture cools down before the oils are emulsified , it will be hard for you to determine if you have reached a true trace . I have tried this method and it isn't my favorite , but it might be yours .
If you haven't made soap before . I would suggest making a very simple small recipe just to get the feel for what happens at each stage of making soap , especially the reaching trace part , once you know exactly what the traced soap should look like you shouldn't be fooled by a false trace .
A great starter recipe is 75% OO and 25% CO it is called bastile , a nice mild easy to make soap .

HTH

Kitn

it'll go better if you put your oils in a pot, then make up your lye solution in a separate container and add that to your oils and stick blend away.

seriously, pouring oils and butters into a lye solution is a recipe for disaster - splashing and splattering - in my book.

I've tried several times but my results are not consistent so I don't go that route any longer. But it works for some.

You would never add the oils to the lye .It is always lye added to oils . That is scary . The tut maker is passing on some bad info .

Kitn

well, I'm a big splish splasher.

(and not that you would - but absolutely positively never add water to lye, though - THAT would absolutely be uber dangerous)

I don't use that method exactly but I do use a similar RTCP method where my lye is pre-mixed and stored at room temp. It's a variation of SoapmakerMan Paul's method.

My oils are also at room temp or when neccessary warmed up just enough to melt them (hasn't been an issue all summer).
I blend all of my oils reserving about 5% to blend in my fragrances.
I add any liquid and colorant to the oils until I'm happy with the color.
I then add the lye mixture.
When I start to see signs of trace I add the remaining oil with the fragrance.
Usually within minutes or less I'm ready to pour.

This seems to save me from a LOT of problems such as:
- FO Panic from those that like to accelerate trace
- FO Panic from forgetting to add the FO
- Having to settle for the wrong color because I reached trace too quickly
- All sorts of problems related to mixing up lye for each batch
- Worrying about temperatures

Back