Made my first cream soap today!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK this goes on my MUST DO list... along with quite several other items.

I have done a CP bar shaving soap that I was somewhat happy with... but I know I can do better and this may be the ticket. Is there any reason I shouldn't add white clay for extra slippage to cream soap the way I do with the bar soap?

Is cream soap any more prone to spoilage or does it naturally preserve itself? Do you add a preservative?

xyxoxy said:
OK this goes on my MUST DO list... along with quite several other items.

I have done a CP bar shaving soap that I was somewhat happy with... but I know I can do better and this may be the ticket. Is there any reason I shouldn't add white clay for extra slippage to cream soap the way I do with the bar soap?

Is cream soap any more prone to spoilage or does it naturally preserve itself? Do you add a preservative?

I use Kaolin clay in my recipe. I think it does make it more slippery. As far as it being prone to spoilage, I just don't know. I just started making it. I just made my second batch, and I haven't even tried that one yet. I'm going to get some vitamin E to add to it. I know this is not a preservative, but I think it will help with skin conditioning. It will also keep it from getting oxidized.

looks awesome!

may I ask for (the source of) your recipe?

Cheers!

Deb

I read as much as I could from a bunch of different sources, and melded a recipe together. It turned out way better than I thought it would for a first recipe.

Do you have to refrigerate it? If not, how long does it last? Can you make it as thick or thin as you want? I've had the book for a long time, but never made the soap. This has sparked my interest.

I don't know how long it is shelf stable yet. The high stearic acid content supposedly makes it more stable. I have not refrigerated any of mine. I really like the thickness of mine. I'm sure you could make it thicker or thinner by tweeking the KOH to NaOH ratio.

I always superfat at 5% because I am scared of DOS. If you do a higher superfat, do you have problems with DOS?

Sorry just saw these questions. So far all the cream soap I have made still looks great. I did not add any preservatives. When/if I start selling I will add a preservative like Optiphen.

Back