M&P clear base question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malaliath

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with my M&P creations. I can't seem to get my clear base to be just that ... clear! It is full of tiny little bubbles when I pour - it almost looks carbonated! I use alcohol to spray the surface after I pour - that smooths out the surface bubbles but doesn't really improve the overall look.

My feeling from searching and reading is that I'm pouring too hot - I read in the Soapylove book that the ideal temperature for pouring when one is doing layers is 120F, but ... by the time my base reaches 120F, it is well on its way to being solid - completely non-pourable with gelled-up lumps.

I use a microwave to heat my base for about 25 seconds, then I gently stir in the unmelted base. The bubbles are present as soon as I take it out of the microwave. Is there something wrong with my technique?

I so appreciate any help anyone has to offer! :)

I would try pouring closer to the mold. And what are you using to stir the soap? I use an old chop stick and stir slowly

malaliath said:
Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with my M&P creations. I can't seem to get my clear base to be just that ... clear! It is full of tiny little bubbles when I pour - it almost looks carbonated! I use alcohol to spray the surface after I pour - that smooths out the surface bubbles but doesn't really improve the overall look.

My feeling from searching and reading is that I'm pouring too hot - I read in the Soapylove book that the ideal temperature for pouring when one is doing layers is 120F, but ... by the time my base reaches 120F, it is well on its way to being solid - completely non-pourable with gelled-up lumps.

I use a microwave to heat my base for about 25 seconds, then I gently stir in the unmelted base. The bubbles are present as soon as I take it out of the microwave. Is there something wrong with my technique?

I so appreciate any help anyone has to offer! :)

What kind of base are you using, SCIF has a lower melting point so you are able to pour at around 120F where as Stephenson's is higher and I find I need to pour closer to 150-160F.
As for the bubbles I spray alcohol on after I pour, and when stirring I try not to stir to quickly.

Hello - thank you so much for your replies!

My base was ordered from New Directions Aromatics - I ordered large quantities and I can't find any identifying manufacturer on the label ... hope I'm not missing something! :) I wonder if it is indeed a high-melting-point base. I will certainly give that a try!

I am stirring with a spoon - I will try stirring slowly with a chopstick as I can see that perhaps it would possibly produce less bubbles. I think I'm pouring pretty close to the mold, but will focus my attention on making sure that I am for sure during my next project.

Thank you so much again for your help - I love this place!

malaliath said:
Hello - thank you so much for your replies!

My base was ordered from New Directions Aromatics - I ordered large quantities and I can't find any identifying manufacturer on the label ... hope I'm not missing something! :) I wonder if it is indeed a high-melting-point base. I will certainly give that a try!

I am stirring with a spoon - I will try stirring slowly with a chopstick as I can see that perhaps it would possibly produce less bubbles. I think I'm pouring pretty close to the mold, but will focus my attention on making sure that I am for sure during my next project.

Thank you so much again for your help - I love this place!

New Directions sells Stephensons. So you will have to pour sooner. I do use a spoon, I just stir slowly. hope that helps

Hi everyone - I just want to let you know that pouring hotter was the trick - I now have the crystal clear look that I was going for!

Thank you all so much for your help!

malaliath said:
Hi everyone - I just want to let you know that pouring hotter was the trick - I now have the crystal clear look that I was going for!

Thank you all so much for your help!

Your welcome, Glad it helped. Have fun with it, the sky it is limit

Latest posts

Back