Lye pockets?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLC

Reaction score
I'm cleaning up this soap, and have noticed it cracking and having little pockets. Are these lye pockets? This is the first time I've used honey in my soap. Thanks for any advice!!:)

I've licked it a couple times and it doesn't sting (I don't think)...it just tastes soapy, but I've never licked lye heavy soap before so I don't know what it's supposed to "sting" like haha

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

I've had beer soap do this in my silicone molds before - they are always safe and zap free in mine as well, just a little "different" looking - I'm not sure if it's when it gels really hot or what. Either way yours looks beautiful!

Thank you! I was super bummed when I saw it.. I really liked how they turned out otherwise! It's comforting to know I won't have to scrap them!! :)

I think that the mottle effect is unmixed honey. It's happened to me before. I now mix my honey with the oils with a SB before the lye is added. This is also great as it ensures that the oils that need melting are thoroughly mixed in as well as they sometimes cause mottling too.

Latest posts

Back