Lye Master Batching Advice Wanted

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like mixing my lye solution in a #2 because the plastic softens up. It does not melt, but it is difficult to have it hold its shape when trying to stir. #5 seems to not deform as badly.

cmzaha said:
I agree about the #2 HDPE, especially when I mix 1.5 gallons at a time. It will get very hot so it is in the sink with a water/ice bath

Me three. My #5 is much more sturdy than #2 when it comes to mixing my solution. But the #2 is perfectly fine for storage when the solution has cooled.

IrishLass :)

I just did my first master batch of Lye Water. I mixed it in a stainless steel pot (like they have soup in at your local buffet - thrift store find) and let it heat up and cool in the metal pot. AFTER it cooled, I poured it into a #1 plastic container that I saw a soaper use on YouTube. I found it at Walmart and it has a little spigot on it. I don't seem to be having any problems with it and the spigot is very handy. I don't know if you all have thoughts on this solution but, it seems to me that, if you don't put it in the container until the solution is cool, then it is a good fix.

Also, when making lye water with ice, do you just weigh the ice as though it were water? I fear I am asking a stupid question that would embarrass my high school science teacher but, does the state of the water affect the weight of the water or solely the density and therefore volume of the water?

Last edited:
"... a #1 plastic container that I saw a soaper use on YouTube. I found it at Walmart and it has a little spigot on it. I don't seem to be having any problems with it and the spigot is very handy...."

Do NOT, NOT, NOT put lye solution in plastic with a #1 recycle code. That is PET, PETE, PETG -- aka polyethylene terephthalate in various flavors. PET is NOT lye safe, whether the lye is hot, warm, cool, or cold. You might get away with this for some days, but I guarantee a PET container with lye solution in it WILL eventually leak.

If you don't believe me, see this first:

About+Plastic+Recycling_plastic_identification_codes.jpg

and then see this and understand the letter "N" in a red box means "not recommended":

Chemical_Reference_Summary-small.gif

"...do you just weigh the ice as though it were water?..."

Yes. Volume changes don't cause the mass (weight) to change.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back