Lye in bucket turned to liquid???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
I have no idea what happened, but when I went into my soap room today to make soap, my lye was part liquid! I had moved some of my lye into a big industrial bucket for easy storage, but now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea? Maybe I'm not supposed to do that. Someone help! Will the now-liquid lye crystallize again? Can I still use this lye? Has this happened to anyone before?

Is it humid in your house? Lye will absorb water from the air, it must be kept in a air tight container. Sorry to say, its ruined and needs to be disposed of.

Sigh. There was a time last week when the lid was off for a few days. It must've been from that. How sad :(

Oh no! Now that's a bummer if ever there was one! I hope it wasn't a terribly huge amount, because that would really suck. :(

Ditto what Obsidian said- lye is very hygroscopic and will absorb any moisture in the air. It needs to be stored air-tight and dry.

IrishLass :)

Lye can be dried back into a solid form, but honestly it's probably safer and easier for everyday people to dispose of it.

I don't know how much liquid-y lye you have. If you have a lot, you might see if you could take it to your local waste disposal agency and dispose of the lye there as hazardous waste. I live in the USA, and our county solid waste disposal facility will accept hazardous waste by appointment. Not every county will do that, however, so it's something a person would have to check out.

Please, please don't put lye in the regular trash. That is just creating the potential for a terrible accident to an unsuspecting animal, child, or garbage collector.

If you only have a small amount of lye, I would wash it very, very slowly down the drain while running LOTS of COLD water from the tap. Run the COLD water for 5-10 minutes after all the lye is gone -- keep washing and diluting and cooling the lye as it travels through your sewer system. Do not use warm or hot water -- the lye will make heat on its own, so don't make things worse by adding even more heat.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
^What DeeAnna said. But, what worries me more is that you store lye in an open container. That is so very dangerous that words fail me. Truly. Never, ever store lye in any container without a tight fitting lid.

I will definitely be contacting the hazardous waste disposal center for this. There's not a ton of liquid, but there is a fair amount of solid lye that is left in the bucket.

It normally does have a tight fitting lid. But I must've not pushed it down all the way last time I used it. I opened the bucket to make soap about a week before I saw the mess yesterday. And the weather this last week has been ferociously hot and humid.

I use lye solution to clean my stove grates and drains and the like. Do you have an appropriate container to store the lye in so you could use it as a cleaning product instead of throwing it away?

Ooh! I like that idea of using it for cleaning. I think maybe that's what I'll do :) thanks for the suggestion.

Back