lye concentration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyndham Dennison

Reaction score
I have a general question on how lye concentration effects drying/demolding time.
My recipe is coconut30%, olive oil 30%, and 10% of castor,canola,palm and shea. lye concentration at 29.9% . I have tried 2 batches with lye concentration at 27% by upping the water almost 1.4 oz . This is just testing and learning how soap making works and the bars are softer and longer to takeout of the mold. Am I going too close to a "do not cross " line? But they should harden over time??but just a longer cure time??
Thanks

You're using way too much water. Use a 33% Lye concentration. 27% is too much and will give a softer bar of soap as will using 10% Castor oil in many cases. I use 5-7%. I have used it higher in one recipe but it takes longer to get out of the mold.

Yes, they will harden over a longer time period. However, have you ever seen a bar of soap where the corners seem to "stick out" because the sides have shrunk in? When the water starts evaporating in cure it can cause the bar to have a warped look when you use a lot of water. Although the normal range is about 28% - 40% I agree near 33% is a good working number for most formulations/fragrances.

Latest posts

Back