LS Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
Hi all! Now that I've somewhat mastered making CP soaps, I've been considering trying my hand at making a liquid castile soap, but I have no idea where to start. Any tips, advice or suggestions? TIA! :)

There are a lot of great tutorials online with some good visuals. The first one I used is this one:
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/liquidsoap/ss/basicliquidsoap.htm

It is not the exact procedure I follow since with each batch you make you learn more and more and eventually figure out what works best for you. For example, I usually cook my paste from 6 - 10 hours using phenolphthalein drops to test for excess lye (instead of just testing for clarity after 3 hours.)

For your first attempt, I would recommend a formula that is not 100% soft oils because those can take much longer to trace than one with mixed hard (coconut, babassu) and soft oils.
To calculate the potassium hydroxide I use brambleberry's calculator for liquid soap at 0% superfat and it works for me every time, again - everyone has their own preference here too.

~ Faith

Thanks! I'm at the doctors office now but I'll be checking out that link as soon as I get home so I can take notes or print any information out :).

Back