love contact paper in log mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I think of when someone says contact paper (Contact is a brand)

contactpapers110708.jpg

contact_paper.jpg

Is this the stuff you use on your moulds?

kaseencook said:
This is what I think of when someone says contact paper (Contact is a brand)

contactpapers110708.jpg

contact_paper.jpg

Is this the stuff you use on your moulds?

yes!!!! this is it, what i use for molds, works great.

I have a 1x4 I just got to make a couple new molds. I'm gonna have to pick up a roll of contact paper today and put that on the wood before I fasten it together :D See how it works.

oh - De-Ce-Fix - lol.

I didn't know that contact was a brand......

We called that De-ce-fix foil. Not for lining drawers, but to pep up cheap furniture and make it look like cheap fake wood furniture, lol (70s style DIY - I say no more) :roll:

I never knew it would work for soap, I guess the shiny ones would. The textured ones may be a bit of an issue. But at least I know where to get this stuff

Have you noticed a smell at all? I tried using a cream-colored Contact paper in my old 2 pound wooden log mold last year, and I got two batches of soap with a funny plastic-y smell so I quit using it.
But I wonder now if it was just something unique to those FOs...must try this again, because it did certainly unmold nice n' easy!

SoapMedic said:
Have you noticed a smell at all? I tried using a cream-colored Contact paper in my old 2 pound wooden log mold last year, and I got two batches of soap with a funny plastic-y smell so I quit using it.
But I wonder now if it was just something unique to those FOs...must try this again, because it did certainly unmold nice n' easy!

no smell.

sooo, your soap would fall out of your mold & the contact paper would stay stuck to the sides of the mold. is that correct. I can't see how the contact paper would come off the sides of the mold without pulling it off......once the soap is out. Or am I missing something.

misty said:
sooo, your soap would fall out of your mold & the contact paper would stay stuck to the sides of the mold. is that correct. I can't see how the contact paper would come off the sides of the mold without pulling it off......once the soap is out. Or am I missing something.

yes, it stays on soap and you peel off and cut soap! love it. Ive used the same pieces 5 times already now. I just wash off and dry and use again.

mamaT said:
The contact paper I remember using 30 years ago (God I'm old) would stick to any surface and you needed some kind of solvent to remove it. It had paper you peeled off and if you ever got a wrinkle or the back touched the back of another piece, you couldn't get it off.
Guess they have changed the recipe for the sticky back.

No you're not that old. I moved into a 1956 built house just 6 years ago and that's exactly what I used to line my shelves etc.
I was thinking of trying those disposable plastic cutting mats to line mine but have not tried it yet. Maybe next batch. Of course they are pretty sturdy so they should last forever in soaping.

do you put the sticky side to the mold or to the soap.......still unsure.

Back