Liquid soap gradually turning darker in color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just had a quick question regarding the color of my liquid soap gradually turning darker? My soap is made without any dyes so I found this issue surprising. Is it common for your natural liquid soap to gradually turn darker? The initial color of the soap is a light yellow but then gradually turns to a honey brown in a few weeks. Does it have to do with my choice of oils?

My recipe consists of:
24 oz Coconut Oil
10 oz Olive Oil
10 oz Castor Oil
3 oz Jojoba Oil

Thank you!

Hi everyone, just had a quick question regarding the color of my liquid soap gradually turning darker? My soap is made without any dyes so I found this issue surprising. Is it common for your natural liquid soap to gradually turn darker? The initial color of the soap is a light yellow but then gradually turns to a honey brown in a few weeks. Does it have to do with my choice of oils?

My recipe consists of:
24 oz Coconut Oil
10 oz Olive Oil
10 oz Castor Oil
3 oz Jojoba Oil

Thank you!

It can have something to do with your choice of oils..though what i see is a very basic recipe with jojoba added, so it's not exotic. Castor has a dark tan/brownish tint to it, so that might be coming into play. Honestly, the only other factor i see is the overall sequestering process taking place. Even with Hot Process/Liquid soap being fully cooked and saponified, it can still go through changes after cook, making it milder, bubblier, etc. So that would be my only take to that.

I have been sitting here wondering if mine changed color, or if it does, how I would ever know. And I decided that I wouldn't ever know. I make my liquid soap, dilute what I need, store the rest. I put my diluted soap into a container under my sink(way in the back). I pull it out and use it when I run out of the previous batch. I just would never notice if it changed color.

It is interesting that yours changed color. I may have to compare colors when I make another batch, though.

Have you added anything else to your soap - fragrance or other additives? I have seen slight color changes over time, but not as drastic as what you are describing. Is is possible your soap has gone bad?

Thank you for your feedback everyone!

The other ingredients I use are vegetable glycerin, citric acid and tocopherol. I'm leaning towards it being the sequestering process as lady-of-4 suggested.

Just as a thought, have you tried that same recipe using only water to see if it does the same thing? Might be worth a try to narrow down the possibilities.

:-DThere is always that. I don't mind the color(I really don't pay attention.) If I need to identify different liquid soaps for different uses, I just add a few drops of food coloring to the jug.(I add blue to make green for dishes.)

Back