Laundry Soap Rev1

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
After much testing, this is my pre-production laundry soap recipe. Preliminary testing has gone well and is now headed for final testing. I'm posting it here in the hopes that you'll try it and let me know what you think or how it can be improved.

Soybean oil
Full sap value KOH
2.5% potassium carbonate by weight of oil (optional)
1 ounce borax per pound of soybean oil

The potassium carbonate makes the paste easier to stir and will also make the paste slightly alkili, which is desirable for laundry soap. After dilluting, it should not be so alkili that it triggers phenolpthalein.

Add KOH and potassium carbonate to water (50%-60% of weight of oil). Heat oil and mix in water/lye while hot. Cook until fully saponified. For every pound of oil used, add 1 ounce of borax to hot water. Use 4-1/2 times the weight of finished paste as water, ie. 1 pound paste needs 4-1/2 pounds water. Heat the water, mix in the borax and then mix in the soap paste while still hot.

Suds will form from mixing, allow overnight for them to settle. Mix the "dried" suds back in the next day. Add fragrance as desired. Use as you would regular laundry detergent. This has NOT been tested in front loaders.

This formula is relatively inexpensive, easy to make and low sudsing. Finished color should be opaque, off white.

I've found that if you're not in a hurry that you can make it easier to make by doing the following... Heat oil and mix in lye. Heat on a stove until it begins to boil. Remove from heat, cover and insulate. Mix occassioanlly. The next day re-heat and mix. Cook for an hour or two, mixing occassionally. Cover and insulate again. The next day it should be fully cooked. If you make several pounds at a time and do a good job insulating, it should still be warm the next day.
I did not use a double boiler, just a 20 quart stock pot on a gas range. It worked well.

Latest posts

Back