last 2 batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madwitch58

Reaction score
my last two batches came out very oily. they beaded oil at first but would not come out of the pans so i froze them now they are both oily. i think i used too much oil when i oiled up the pans. :oops: it's not lye, because it feels oily when i touch it, and does not bother my hands. :)
ok what i want to know is what did i do wrong and how do i not do it again?
good news the in a S.F. convention in July, one of the women who is there every years makes and sells her own soap. so i am planing on picking her brains.
thank you

First, why are you oiling anything you are putting soap into? A liner works better! You can make your own using freezer paper (or if you live in a country where that doesn't exist, like me, parchment paper). If you grease a mould with anything but mineral oil it will saponify along with your soap batter, and so it won't function to keep it from sticking.

Aside from that, either you didn't actually reach trace and it separated (that case would be an oily mess), or it overheated. Leave it be and it might reabsorb.

I'm inclined to think its from high superfat or too much of an oil high in unsaponifiables like jojoba. I make a recipe with 10% jojoba and the bars themselves feel oily but my skin loves them.

also, rapid temperature changes can lead to separations. Pouring at a false trace can cause the bars to either sweat lye or oil. Its also possible that its sweating glycerin which usually resorbs back into the bars. If it tastes sweet, it is glycerin.

There is a stage during the soapmaking process where the batter appears to curdle or separate, and produces a clear fluid on top of the soap batter. This is glycerine, if poured into the mold without bringing it back together well it can do something like this.

It does sound a lot like you either reached a false trace when you poured or superfatted too much.

Did you let it sit and see if the oil reabsorbs? Or you can just wipe it off and see how that goes.

Back