Lard Smell

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

jay_bird

Reaction score
Ok I made a lard based soap for starters and it came out beautiful, it's really hard soaps up perfectly except it smells like bacon fat! Any suggestions on what could be dun for removing the smell?

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes if you soap at too high a temperature I get that pig smell. Shouldn't be bacon though unless you used bacon fat. It will likely mellow with cure. Did you use an EO or FO. That should help too.

traderbren

Reaction score
I've gotten that "almost-bacon" smell from Armour lard (Walmart) before, but it has faded completely during cure (I use FOs). Hubs got it pretty bad his first lard batch that he heated a bit high to melt. It faded mostly, but the FO he used that time wasn't enough to cover it. I'm very careful to not heat too high, and since my nose is sensitive, I don't use lard on my unscented batches.

TeaLeavesandTweed

Reaction score
I made a lard/coconut soap for my first batch and it smelled pretty piggy to begin with. The smell faded a lot during the cure.

jay_bird

Reaction score
Well it's cured out completely and I think I'm moving on to beef tallow. I just thought I read somewhere that you can oven render the smell out! And yea it was wall mart lard.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
Just to go on a bit, the Walmart "Armour" brand lard is the cleanest smelling lard I have found. I used some "Emge" lard from Kroger one time and that stuff was very strong smelling. But even the strong one mellowed out after a good cure... at least for me.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any reasonable amount of EO/FO will cover Armour lard scent as long as you do not overheat that lard. What lard scent there is goes away during cure.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I switched away from lard myself. Didn't smell it in the finished soap, but it made the soaping process unpleasant, and since I do this as a hobby I want it to be as fun as possible.

fuzz-juzz

Reaction score
I think it depends on what you start with. If there is a lot of bacony smell to it at the begging it might take a bit of time and FO to cover it up.
Lard I used did smell a bit piggy, but it cured out. Even in 50% lard, unfragranced bars.