Kilgharrah

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcandleattic

Reaction score
This one was going to be called Dante's Inferno, but when I cut it, that name just was not right.
So I decided to name it Kilgharrah instead. It's a mix of Dragon's Blood and Cracklin' Birch.
Points if you know who Kilgharrah is without looking it up. :)
IMG-0775.jpg

I love the colors. Not sure how the color is going to hold with DB in it but will be interesting to see. No points for me :D but I like the name. How does the mix smell? I am interested in some mixes for my DB. One member here shared one but I do not want to post it since it is not my mix. But it is fantastic, so now I am looking for other. I can imagine it with CB if it does not add to much sweetness to it

I have watched many a Merlin related film and had forgotten the name. So appropriate! Love the swirls, too. I hope you keep at least one bar to see how dark it gets and post updates. I've noticed that if I use only a little DB, the soap doesn't get as dark as if I use more, so maybe your mix won't darken up drastically.

Gorgeous!

I don't know the origin of Kilgharrah, but I did read Dante's Inferno - and I think it's fitting with the different levels!

Good luck surviving the dragon's blood. Maybe that's why it's Kilgharrah!

I wanted to make a batch of beer soap that I normally scent with Cracklin' Birch. I ran short of that FO, so I added some of Carolyn's Dragon's Blood. Maybe 3 parts CB to 1 of DB. I liked the blend a lot -- the DB added depth to the spicy CB. I wondered what it would smell like if I'd reversed the proportions.

Not sure how the color is going to hold with DB
I hope you keep at least one bar to see how dark it gets and post updates.
Good luck surviving the dragon's blood.

I've used this dragon's blood many times, and I use my BCN Vanilla Stabilizer with it, and it never darkens on me. I kind of wish I didn't use the VS, so it would get a bit darker on me.

Did you mix the FO's
I wondered what it would smell like if I'd reversed the proportions.

I mixed the FO's. I used 2 parts DB, 1 part CB - it is great, but wish I would have reversed the proportions (if I had enough CB), because the DB seemed to mostly take over.
I wanted to use Smoke and Mirrors from Mad Oils (Arizona Candle Supply now) but couldn't find my bottle. I had always heard it was similar to Cracklin Birch (It is not) S&M definitely has a very distinct smoke/fire smell to it with no spice that CB has, and also CB does not have that smoke/fire scent to it that S&M has.
Once I took it out of the mold, smelled it and saw the cut, Kilgharrah just immediately struck me and told me that was what it's name was going to be. LOL

I have watched many a Merlin related film and had forgotten the name
You get the points. You are the first person that got even close! :)

I don't know the origin of Kilgharrah, but I did read Dante's Inferno - and I think it's fitting with the different levels!

Kilgharrah is The Great Dragon of Merlin folklore. I didn't call it Dante's inferno, because the "red" turned pink, and the "black" is a bit grey, and the scent has no "smoky" quality to it at all. So I wanted a dragon's name, (because of the dragon's blood scent) and to me, with the glycerine river effect, it reminds of thin dragon scales, with the veins running through. IDK, it's what immediately popped in my head when I cut it. :)

"...I used 2 parts DB, 1 part CB - it is great, but wish I would have reversed the proportions (if I had enough CB), because the DB seemed to mostly take over...."

Good to know. The blend I used has the clear, strong spice notes from the CB, but more "bottom" from the DB. Maybe I inadvertently lucked into a good proportion!

I wanted to make a batch of beer soap that I normally scent with Cracklin' Birch. I ran short of that FO, so I added some of Carolyn's Dragon's Blood. Maybe 3 parts CB to 1 of DB. I liked the blend a lot -- the DB added depth to the spicy CB. I wondered what it would smell like if I'd reversed the proportions.
Thankyou DeeAnna, when I get home I am definitely going to try your 3:1. My DB does overpower any fragrance quite easily. I know everyone finds CB spicy but to me it is a bit sweet. :lol: different noses ...

I am interested in some mixes for my DB.
I didn't see this portion of your post earlier - here are some mixes I have used with Dragon's Blood -

DB with Peppermint - name Dragon's Breath
DB with Moonlight Path - name Walk with a Dragon
DB with Dragon Fruit - name Puff the Magic Dragon

Honestly, I think DB can mix with just about anything and smell good. :)

I didn't see this portion of your post earlier - here are some mixes I have used with Dragon's Blood -
DB with Peppermint - name Dragon's Breath
DB with Moonlight Path - name Walk with a Dragon
DB with Dragon Fruit - name Puff the Magic Dragon

Honestly, I think DB can mix with just about anything and smell good. :)
I like DB mixed with Egyptian Dragon and a splash of Patch and call it Mystic Dragon
I have mixed it at a very small percentage of Plumeria and it was nice. Forgot about that one, I haven't made it in probably 3 yrs.

Latest posts

Back