Having a hard time choosing Halloween Scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t sell (yet.). My favorite scents for Halloween would be Dragons Blood, Patchouli (both any vendor) and from CS: Tonka Oud and Spiced Honey Tonka. (CS is CandleScience and both scents require vanilla stabilizer to remain lighter color.
I'm a big fan of Tonka Bean, and use this in body butter. Haven't used a Tonka Bean FO in soap yet. How have your FO's worked out so far?

@dmcgee5034 , did you end up making the Frankenstein soap? I'd love to see it! Thanks. :)
I made these. The kitties are selling well. The brooms to go with them, not so much. They smell like fruit loops.
371824726_798627992272589_6985103251000622973_n.jpg
371854616_798627995605922_6936088854073828201_n.jpg

I'm waaay late to the party, but FWIW, MMS Freckles FO smells just like candy corn to me! Pair it with an orange/yellow/white layered soap for Halloween.

View attachment 74737

DIY CANDY CORN MP

BB'a CANDY CORN MP
@Zany_in_CO Those are absolutely adorable! Something I’m having a bit of a challenge with is colorants for CP. I used red mica and green mica recently. At first I mixed it with small amount of OO and let it settle while I prepared the balance of my batch. When I added the lye, it went from red to pink. So I added more - just sprinkled more powder in with the oils. So far, so good. Then I added the fragrance oil and whoops!! Traced immediately. Smashed it into the mold asap. Unmolding it the next day, what I have isn’t a bright, Christmas red. It’s ruddy as Georgia earth. Which wasn’t what I was going for. Used the last of my Frosted Fir FO from BB. The green was good, just much lighter than the evergreen I was attempting.

Something I’m having a bit of a challenge with is colorants for CP. I used red mica and green mica recently. At first I mixed it with small amount of OO and let it settle while I prepared the balance of my batch. When I added the lye, it went from red to pink. So I added more - just sprinkled more powder in with the oils. So far, so good. Then I added the fragrance oil and whoops!! Traced immediately. Smashed it into the mold asap. Unmolding it the next day, what I have isn’t a bright, Christmas red. It’s ruddy as Georgia earth. Which wasn’t what I was going for. Used the last of my Frosted Fir FO from BB. The green was good, just much lighter than the evergreen I was attempting.
I'm no help at all with micas. I did a layered rainbow soap for a Pride Day Event once and that's it. Hopefullly someone will come along and help you. YOO HOO @KiwiMoose

Reporting for duty Ma'am! It's hard to get the exact colour you want when you consider that the base colour of your batch is always going to affect the overall outcome - hence red goes orange, green goes calf-poo colour, purple goes brown.
I use 'Trail by Fire' red mica and that's the best red I've ever used. Just. Don't. Spill. It! (Search the great red mica spill circa 2021).
It could be that you are not using enough? Or think about mixing colours to make them stronger. I often put a aqua blue in with my green ( it, combined with the 'yellow' of the base, makes the green stronger).
More recently I started using neons - and while they very bright on their own, they combine really well with micas to enhance colours that would otherwise be very weak - think yellows and greens.

Reporting for duty Ma'am! It's hard to get the exact colour you want when you consider that the base colour of your batch is always going to affect the overall outcome - hence red goes orange, green goes calf-poo colour, purple goes brown.
I use 'Trail by Fire' red mica and that's the best red I've ever used. Just. Don't. Spill. It! (Search the great red mica spill circa 2021).
It could be that you are not using enough? Or think about mixing colours to make them stronger. I often put a aqua blue in with my green ( it, combined with the 'yellow' of the base, makes the green stronger).
More recently I started using neons - and while they very bright on their own, they combine really well with micas to enhance colours that would otherwise be very weak - think yellows and greens.
@KiwiMoose Ma'am, yes, Ma'am! 😁 I appreciate the input. I was using @Zany_in_CO 's NSCOO recipe, so that's a green base that lightens/whitens over a few weeks. I set it aside and I'm watching it before I decide if I'm going to scrap/rebatch or some other method. But it isn't what I wanted, so being the Trooper I am...I went shopping! I bought some neons, other micas, and liquids that have been suggested in other threads. First order should deliver Wednesday. I possibly could have used more coloring, but didn't. I think in the future I'll order twice as much color as I think I need. Thank you so much!

@KiwiMoose OMG I missed the great red mica spill the first time around, THANK YOU FOR A HILARIOUS READ! I was scrolling through your pictures going... no, oh no.. ohhh, oh no no no.... I was really keeping it together and totally sympathetic .... then I got to your mica sprayed stocking feet and burst out laughing!

Glad that is a long time in the rearview mirror!

Latest posts

Back