Kaolin Clay Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if it is just my suspicion or does Kaolin Clay absorb the fragrance or something to that effect? I made some soap with it and the fragrance is almost totally gone...don't know if it was the clay or just a bad batch of FO but before I take the plunge again just wondering if anyone had any experience with Kaolin Clay and FO's?

Thanks for the help!

I use clays to help anchor the FO or EO in the soap. It seems to work well, although some FO's just don't hold their scent. If they smell light in the bottle then chances are they will be light in the soap. Check out the Scent Review Board if you haven't already. Lots of good info there once you register.

I think it must be the FO, some FO's disappear for weeks and come back so don't give up just yet. I use a lot of clays and have never had it do anything but good for the soap.

What FO did you use?

Last edited:
I use clays to help anchor the FO or EO in the soap. It seems to work well, although some FO's just don't hold their scent. If they smell light in the bottle then chances are they will be light in the soap. Check out the Scent Review Board if you haven't already. Lots of good info there once you register.

I've had quite a lot that where strong oob and lost most of their fragrance during the cure.
It's not the clay, just a lengthy process of trial and error :razz:

Last edited:
That is why it pays to read the reviews of fragrance oils before buying. I use clay to anchor scent also.

Thanks! I tried to sign up for the review scent board but there was no option for that...any ideas why it's closed to new registrations. Not all the businesses put scent reviews up so it is a hit and miss thing and getting rather expensive (and frustrating).

Thanks! I tried to sign up for the review scent board but there was no option for that...any ideas why it's closed to new registrations. Not all the businesses put scent reviews up so it is a hit and miss thing and getting rather expensive (and frustrating).

I'm too brain dead from a long work week to recall exactly, but I think they don't allow access from free accounts, e.g. gmail, yahoo, etc. A pain for sure, that's why I haven't signed up, I'm not gonna give them my work email addy...

I'm too brain dead from a long work week to recall exactly, but I think they don't allow access from free accounts, e.g. gmail, yahoo, etc. A pain for sure, that's why I haven't signed up, I'm not gonna give them my work email addy...

That's correct, they don't allow you to sign up with a free e-mail address. That's why I can't join, too.

So any color clay can be a fixativ for EO? I use corn starch, but will gladly change for clay :)

I use litsea cubeba essential oil to anchor citrus essential oils. That along with a little clay really helps give citrus staying power.

Latest posts

Back