June 2019 SMF Challenge - Rimmed Soap - ENTRY THREAD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the Official Entry Thread for the to the June 2019 SMF Soap Challenge – Rimmed Soap.

Please post your entry soap photos here. You may introduce your entry as desired, with a backstory or description of your soap, recipe, fragrance, experience with the technique or process also.

This thread is limited to challenge photo's only. All comments, comments, critiques or compliments can be made in the original challenge thread (here) and not in this competitor's Entry Thread. Thank you.

Multiple photo's are welcome, but only one photo can be submitted for the challenge, so if you are including extra photo's, please indicate which photo is your entry photo. In the absence of such indication, one of the photo's will be chosen as the entry photo from the selection you have posted.

After the closing date June 26, 2019 at 11:59 pm CST a link and the password for voting at Survey Monkey will be sent to all members who signed up for the Challenge. (Voting will be open from June 27, 2019 through June 29, 2019).

The winner will be announced on June 30, 2019. There is no prize attached to this challenge.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this Month's Soap Challenge!

If you would like to join in the discussion (compliments for the participants entries are always welcome), please head to the challenge thread: June 2019 SMF Soap Challenge – Rimmed Soap

I rolled out a patterned layer of soap dough for this one- the pattern didn't come out like I'd hoped, once it was all rolled out. I was going for big daisies,with colour blocks between the petals, but you cannot tell in the final cut. I am pretty happy with how the yin-yang came out in the center, I scented with dalmatian sage essential oil. I had a little trouble getting the individual parts of the pattern to stick to each other in places, so I'm pretty happy it came out at all.

tumblr_psizm28I8m1u516eqo1_1280.jpg

The method I chose to use for the Rim soap was the small Pringles can and Hot Process. It was challenging to roll out and bend the soap due to the temperature but I was able to accomplish it. I chose a Black Rim and a white center with black, multiple shape embeds folded in before pouring. I scented it with Little Black Dress. I used my light box to photograph it because the black was hard to see on my work space or counter tops and I think its best seen with the blue background.

rimmed soap2.jpg

I was going for a tree branch look. I used a Pringels can for my mold. For the outer rim I did a ribbon pour and for the inner part I was trying to mimic tree rings. The only colorant I used was cocoa powder. It was fun to try out a new technique, but a bit more labor intensive than I'm used to. Thanks for the challenge!
Riim Soap 1.jpg
Rim Soap 4.jpg
Rim Soap 3.jpg

full

We adopted a dog about a year ago, and she's, um, become my life. As such, I had paw prints on the brain. This was the third attempt at a single-layer rim, as I seemed to be having troubles with the gel stage. In fact, this soap rim actually overheated a little, which mysteriously caused just the paw prints to puff up a bit but I love the unintended textured effect.

A layer of plain soap was poured at thin trace, and then I did each paw print with a dropper. It's scented with an EO blend I came up with last year and absolutely love: 30% patchouli, 20% cedarwood, 20% amyris, 20% peppermint, and 10% spearmint.

earlene, thank you so much for hosting this month's challenge!

Last edited:
I did like Dragon Girl did and used soap dough for my rim, to have the most control over the rim shaping process. I started with white dough and colored it different shades of purple. This made marbling a little difficult, since the different shades were naturally firmer or softer, depending on the amount of mica I'd added. I filled the rim with lilac scented (Nurture) green oxide tinted batter.

After cutting, I played around with an inlay technique I saw on Pink Dahlia Soap's YT: carve out a shape and then fill it with soap dough. I also played with a little carving and mica painting on some.

I think my favorite rim is the one with the polka-dots. I used a piping tip to cut circles all around, then filled them in with green dough.

The pictures came out pretty true to the actual colors on the first try.

IMG_20190624_155430~2.jpeg
IMG_20190624_155603~2.jpeg
IMG_20190624_155746~2.jpeg

My entry - I used a Pringles can for a mold, cut in half to make it easier to reach in and smooth the seam where the rim meets. I made my rim by slicing a thin sheet of soap from a slab. I used 10% castor oil in my recipe, which I think helped to keep the rim pliable. I learned a few things, and will give this a try again, but maybe in the winter when I have more days I can stay home and babysit the rim to ensure it gels. Thanks earlene for choosing this technique - it's a tricky one and I was definitely challenged!
Rimmed soap_2165.jpg

The Entry thread is closed and voting is open for the June 2019 Rimmed Soap Challenge. Thank you to all who participated and shared your experiences with this process. I know it was a hard challenge! The reported efforts in the Challenge sign-up and discussion thread and the entries themselves showed real dedication to mastering this technique. I truly appreciate how much work many of you put into this month's challenge.

I have sent the link to the Voting survey to the 12 members who signed up to participate, along with the password. Please vote for your top 3 choices. I have extended the voting a few hours to 6:30 am Central Time on June 30th (2019) because I sent out the link to the survey so many hours later than scheduled. After the voting closes, I will announce the results both here and on the Challenge Thread (sign-up & discussion).

Because all 12 voters have voted, I am announcing the winners early.

Congratulations to:

First place: HowieRoll's textured paw prints Rimmed soap
Second place: dibbles' 10% castor oil Rim with plain center
Third place: artemis' purple marbled Rim with inlays

Thank you, each and every one of you who participated in this month's challenge and contributed to the collective shared experience of working with this technique.

Back