Jojoba

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chay

Reaction score
Has anyone tried infusing using Jojoba? I am interested to know what differences were experienced using a wax vs an oil.

So many oils I LOVE, but Jojoba probably has to be my favorite. I haven't soaped it, but only because there's SOOOOO many wonderful benefits in that precious/pricey ingredient, I don't want to risk losing most if not all of them to the lye reaction. I only cp though. If I were to HP a batch of soap, I might be tempted to try it and add the jojoba after the cook for superfatting (although I'm still not sure you wouldn't lose some benefits, as this isn't fool-proof). Sorry I couldn't help more. I only use jojoba in my leave-on skin products.

Try it tho & see if you can tell a diff in your finished soap. If it's the golden jojoba (drool!!) it'll have some effect on the batch color.

i didn't infuse w/ jojoba but i did use it in a recent soap recipe, along w/ shea butter, sweet almond oil, olive oil, coconut and palm. it is a very rich feeling soap.....

I don't infuse it either, because you really do loose a lot .In soap it rocks.My hubby could tell the difference in a bar I added it to. Said it was my best soap yet .You don't have to add much to make the soap feel great on your skin.

Kitn

i add 2 tsp. jojoba at trace to superfat. i haven't tried the bars yet but i hope they give it a little something extra.

michelle , duh!! why didn't I think of that! Thank you! I've been sitting here with this precious bottle of jojoba not wanting to use too much of it at once.....stretch it out! That's a perfect way to use it in CPHP at the end of the cook.
Now I have to go make some soap!!!

If any of you gals need a tester for your jojoba soap experiments... I'd be happy to take one for the team if it'll help! LOL :D

Just sayin... hee hee

Hello!
I'm soapmaking with a recipe I found on "The soapmaker's companion", and it has Jojoba oil at about 7%. (that's "baby grand")

I've read around that jojoba at more than 3% will seize the soap.

Which % do you use? do you add it at trace?

Thanks

Vale

I've never had it make a soap seize.

I infuse it all the time. Its so stable it makes a fantastic "oil" to infuse with.

Thanks (again), carebear!
Which percentage do you use of jojoba?

I've never infused, up to now (I'm a newbie :) ) could you please tell me more?

Thanks!

Vale

I've made that baby grand receipe in smc several times and the soap is WONDERFUL as to how it feels on your skin. there is a clear jojoba as well....it's a tad more expensive than the golden....but not much. i get it at oils by nature

I don't often soap with jojoba, but probably I wouldn't go over 5%-6% because it's so high in unsaponifiables.

As for infusing, I infuse with annatto to add a natural color to my soap. Since it doesn't take much this works well. If I want a bigger hit of color then I infuse my olive oil since I use it at a higher level in soaps.

I mostly use my infusions for balms, though - not for soaps as I don't think therapeutic effects survive the lye. I infuse calendula, arnica, and St. John's wort for muscle balms.

I believe that jojoba is technically a "wax." That may be why it does not saponify well. It is very soothing for the skin. I use it in my special soap that I make for psoriasis and eczema sufferers. I add it right in with my liquid oils. My recipe has gone through soapcalc to include this "oil." I don't sell my soaps, but I have so many people ask me for this soap that I make 6 lbs of it at a time. I am always having to make more!

carebear said:
I mostly use my infusions for balms, though - not for soaps as I don't think therapeutic effects survive the lye. I infuse calendula, arnica, and St. John's wort for muscle balms.

I am a huge fan of jojoba, I mostly use it when I give massages. I am currently infusing some with Dragons Blood for medicinal purposes.

I have used jojoba in soap, you only need a little bit, and the finished cured soap is probably the best one that I have ever made.
And yes, technically it is a wax, not an oil.

Back