Jam troubleshooting, hasn't set right! Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright so tonight was my first attempt at making homemade jam... My mom did this all the time growing up out of every fruit you could imagine, so I decided to give it a go for old times sake and because publix had a sale on strawberries this last week.

I used 6 cups of strawberries sliced, 4 cups sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice and a package and a half of liquid fruit pectin- though the recipe called for powdered I didn't realize what I bought was liquid til I got home.... Did not know there was more than one kind! Anyway its been like 5 hours and I notice its still a bit loose. I let it cook for 1.5 hours ....

What did I do wrong that its not more jelly-like? Help!

Thanks!

I make jelly often and I've never had success with liquid. The powder works perfectly every time.

Hint? When I've used the liquid and it didn't work out as jelly/jam I just told my family it was ice cream sauce. They bought it. And ate it.

Lol well that's encouraging at least I know I didn't do something horridly wrong- and even better- now I have an excuse to go but a gallon of ice cream! Sweet!!

Definitely getting the powder next time!

Stupid liquid pectin

Ian, I do the no-cook kind and last year it didn't turn out worth a crap. Very loose. And DH's granny, who's been doing it for ohhhhh....50 years said hers didn't turn out last year either. In her opinion, "something's wrong with the sugar..." Now, I don't know if that's true but if they've changed the sugar process "due to the economy" it's possible....I can't see the pectin makers making an unuseable product, kwim?

I use the liquid kind, fwiw!

That's a little freaky!

I smell an experiment a brewing... Raw sugar vs regular vs confectioners... Maybeget raw sugar cane and evaporate my own sugar lol although that would be a bit crazy...

IanT said:
That's a little freaky!

I smell an experiment a brewing... Raw sugar vs regular vs confectioners... Maybeget raw sugar cane and evaporate my own sugar lol although that would be a bit crazy...

Yes, that would be more than just A LITTLE crazy....

Don't know if there's anything to it, but my mama wouldn't make jams or jellies on humid or rainy days. She always said it wouldn't "set right"

lol well yesterday was most definitely a bit rainy.. lol and shoot... if Im trying to avoid humid days in florida I best just forget jelly making lol

@vin ... yeah.... thought so ;) lol

Put in the other half and see what happens.

If not you have the best ice cream/oatmeal/yogurt topping in town! That's what I do when I make jam that is just a little too soft.

We are in the process of eating down jam from the last 2 years so that we have space to make more when my MIL's apricot tree fruits this year.

I usually do the "No sugar" pectin and love that - we had about a 1/4 cup of sugar to the recipe and find that it's great when you have fruit that is naturally sweet - and I don't miss the sugar.

bodybym said:
Put in the other half and see what happens.

If not you have the best ice cream/oatmeal/yogurt topping in town! That's what I do when I make jam that is just a little too soft.

We are in the process of eating down jam from the last 2 years so that we have space to make more when my MIL's apricot tree fruits this year.

I usually do the "No sugar" pectin and love that - we had about a 1/4 cup of sugar to the recipe and find that it's great when you have fruit that is naturally sweet - and I don't miss the sugar.

awesome! Im going to try it!! yeahhh I been eating it as yogurt/ice cream topping... I am really sensitive to sugar, so sweet fruit+ the recommended added sugar is like waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sweet for me... I like naturally sweet fruit just like you said! :)

I def dont miss the sugar, and I think you can taste the fruit more prominently when there isnt as much sugar, like it takes up the sensations going from your tastebuds to your brain and doesnt let you experience the full flavor :)

thanks for the tips!!! :)

I wish I had apricot trees :(

Back