I've never used Essential Oils... I'm so confused

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaress

Reaction score
So -- I've only ever made soap with fragrance oils. I'm wanting to make a lavender soap with actual essential oil, but it's in the ballpark of $22 for 2 ounces and the fragrance uses printed are similar to those of fragrance oils. Do those of you that use essential oils really use that much? I tend to do 3/3.5% fragrance oils (when usages are 5%) but I feel weird dumping $18/$20 worth of oil into only 2.5 pounds of soap. Advice? Am I looking in the wrong place? Do I just charge an extra $3 a bar for essential oil soap? Ahh!

When I started soaping, I bought super expensive essential oils at a local grocery. I found MUCH more affordable ones online where the price per ounce dropped steeply even with shipping and handling. I like Bramble Berry.

I do use essential oils, but not usually at the higher fragrance rate of 5% used for fragrance oils.

Some sellers here use a blend of essential and fragrance oils to get the label appeal and lower cost in the one bar.

Buying good quality lavender oil wholesale or in bulk should lower the price for you (eg. 7oz from Zing's supplier would cost less than half of what you are currently paying per batch, at $9 for 2oz, and the price per ounce goes does as you buy more).

I use a handful of EO’s. Lavender, Patchouli, Tea Tree, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus. I get the, from reputable suppliers and a somewhat reasonable prices. Much better than what you’ve posted. Liberty Naturals, New Directions Aromatics (they have a min) Fragrance Lab (Patch).

You might try using lavender 40/42 for soap. It is cheaper to use than Bulgarian lavender or fine lavender.

Last edited:
The 40/42 is startlingly cheaper on New Directions Aromatics! I haven’t had a chance to look at Liberty Naturals. It seems like the trick is just to buy a lot at once! I was hoping for smaller quantities because I don’t know the difference between all the varieties and people seem to be rather opinionated, but that seems like it will be ridiculously costly.

Thank you everyone!

I never cared for the scent of the Lavender 40/42 from NDA, and cared for it even less when it was discovered their recommended usage rate in soap is 0.3%, for some reason (as found in their Quality and Regulatory Information). Recently I purchased their Lavandin Organic Essential Oil and really prefer the scent of that one, although I've never made a lavender/lavendin-only soap to know how it sticks long term.

I never cared for the scent of the Lavender 40/42 from NDA, and cared for it even less when it was discovered their recommended usage rate in soap is 0.3%, for some reason (as found in their Quality and Regulatory Information).

I recall some discussion of this a while back, and most of us agreed that the 0.3% max recommended rate is probably incorrect - but NDA "confirmed" the oddly low value after questioning. o_O

As I've seen several others here opine, I much prefer the smell and price of the 40/42 from Camden Grey, anyway.

Camden Grey is cheaper on a lot of their EOs. I have read complaints about Camden Grey, but I have never had a problem with the company.

Well, as an update I’m still overwhelmed! I posted over in the essential oil forum too about all of the different lavender strains. I’m starting to wonder if a lavender soap is really worth all of this to-do.

I'm a lavender EO lover, yes indeed! Whether I use 100% (at 5% of oils) or mix it with a little peppermint, spearmint or rosemary EO, it can be a true pleasure of life.

You are correct that it is best purchased in larger quantities. That can be a bit of trial and error, which can be expensive.

The problem is the high variability in scent - among or even within varieties, region of cultivation, and year of cultivation. Unfortunately, I have found it very unpredictable. I have purchased many small quantities (~ 4 oz) looking for the perfect lavender, which although elusive, I occasionally find.

I once got VERY lucky with a blind 16 oz purchase for very good price (~$65 I think). It is amazing - delicate, slightly sweet and spicy, and not camphorous. But it is almost gone and the vendor is no longer in business. I am so sad!

I currently have around 4-6 bottles on hand that I could advise you from, if you're willing to wait until the weekend. And even then, you'd need to realize my nose is subjective like everyone else's is. But in my mind, my nose knows a good lavender ;)

Lavender and lavender blends are my best selling soaps. I use 40/42 and Lavindin blended. It makes for a lovely blend in my opinion. I usually buy it in bulk because it can get pricey year to year. The French lavenders are lovely but I use sparingly because of the cost. I haven’t found a fragrance oil that I like without that after-perfumey smell.

I made one batch with lavender oil, lemon oil and dried rosemary, and it smells divine! You should totally give it a go :)

I don't use a lot of EO. I do make a blend with Lavender, Tea Tree and Peppermint. I love it. I do use Patchouli, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus & Spearmint. Otherwise I pretty much use FO's. I make a lavender with a combo of EO & FO.

Back