I've got a bit of the DOS-ophopia, please help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Reaction score
So far, I've had 2 batches that developed DOS.

One was a 100% OO batch that I made early last August. It DOS'ed I believe by October.
It was very hot & humid last summer, but the whole batch didn't develop it. I had to throw some away, but I was able to give some of it to my MIL.
I always keep one soap from each batch (yes my closet is full) to see how it does. The one I have left from that batch is now six months old and still DOS free. Go figure.

My other bad batch was poured 9/30/11 and dos'ed very slightly by 11/11.
It was 40% OO, 20% Walmart tallow shortening, 20% CO, 5% Shea & 5% Castor. I used Fresh Snow fo from BB.

I know there are different factors which cause it, but now I'm so afraid to go over 35% OO in my recipes. I did put together a recipe this morning with 40% OO & lard because I'd like to try a slower trace combo for spoon swirling.

I guess what I'm asking is- do you think it is more my oil combo or the curing conditions? Should I perhaps keep away from OO heavy blends during the humid summer months?

I've also stopped buying whatever OO is on sale, and get it all exclusively from Sam's Club. Any advice is surely appreciated :)

It was 40% OO, 20% Walmart tallow shortening, 20% CO, 5% Shea & 5% Castor.

I tried to check your recipe out on SoapCalc, but it's missing 10% of something.

Is the olive oil that you used for the dossed batches from Sam's Club or the 'whatever is on sale' OO? If it's the latter, then it's possible you may have unwittingly bought some of that 'tainted' OO going around that has been cut with other oils like soy or canola.

I use anywhere from 30.5 to 50% to 100% OO (from Costco) and have never had a DOS problem with it, but I should also mention that I live in a very arid region of the US with very little humidity except for a few weeks around July and January.

Based on my own doss-less experiences with OO in my arid climate, I'm kinda leaning towards your curing conditions rather than your oil combo.... but then again, maybe your oil combo doesn't mix with your more humid climate. Or maybe it's just that your OO is bad (gee, I'm not much help, am I? :lol: )

If you don't want to change the oil combo of your formula, you can always add EDTA to your batch, or a combo of sodium citrate and BHT. Dr. Kevin Dunn recommends either of those as dos-preventatives.

Hopefully someone who lives in a more humid climate and uses OO will chime in soon.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
It was 40% OO, 20% Walmart tallow shortening, 20% CO, 5% Shea & 5% Castor.

I tried to check your recipe out on SoapCalc, but it's missing 10% of something.

I'm sorry, IrishLass- I certainly do appreciate the help. I meant to say the Walmart shortening (beef tallow and palm) was 30%. I used full water amount with a SF of 7%.

The OO that I used was the whatever was on sale at the time one. I don't think it was cut with anything, as I am a label reader- unless it didn't say so on the label? Anyway, I'm not going to buy just any old OO anymore, for sure.

I did read Dr. Dunn's book, and, yes, I have to add a preserv. as a last resort. I've also read that a well balanced formula doesn't need one, so that's what I've been trying to do, of course.
I went ahead and made a soap today with 40% (Sams Club) OO. I'll keep a close eye on it and see how it goes...

saltydog said:
The OO that I used was the whatever was on sale at the time one. I don't think it was cut with anything, as I am a label reader- unless it didn't say so on the label? Anyway, I'm not going to buy just any old OO anymore, for sure.

Ah- then I'm changing my original leaning to the possibility of tainted OO. The problem with the nefariously tainted OO that has been cut with inferior oil is that it's not mentioned anywhere on the label. Somehow, somewhere along the route of its travel from one country to the next, in order to rake in more money with hopefully no one finding out until too late, some olive oil companies have been secretly cutting their olive oil with other oils like canola or soy. It's a big problem in the industry from all I've read. It's best to stick with brands that have consistantly worked well for you.

saltydog said:
I went ahead and made a soap today with 40% (Sams Club) OO. I'll keep a close eye on it and see how it goes...

Good deal. Let us know how it turns out in the end. I've heard from many soapers that Sam's Club OO is very dependable.

IrishLass said:
Ah- then I'm changing my original leaning to the possibility of tainted OO. The problem with the nefariously tainted OO that has been cut with inferior oil is that it's not mentioned anywhere on the label. Somehow, somewhere along the route of its travel from one country to the next, in order to rake in more money with hopefully no one finding out until too late, some olive oil companies have been secretly cutting their olive oil with other oils like canola or soy. It's a big problem in the industry from all I've read.

Wow, that's terrible, I had no idea.
Thank you, though, I'm so glad I asked!

IrishLass said:
saltydog said:

Ah- then I'm changing my original leaning to the possibility of tainted OO. The problem with the nefariously tainted OO that has been cut with inferior oil is that it's not mentioned anywhere on the label. Somehow, somewhere along the route of its travel from one country to the next, in order to rake in more money with hopefully no one finding out until too late, some olive oil companies have been secretly cutting their olive oil with other oils like canola or soy. It's a big problem in the industry from all I've read. It's best to stick with brands that have consistantly worked well for you.

saltydog said:

Good deal. Let us know how it turns out in the end. I've heard from many soapers that Sam's Club OO is very dependable.

The Sam's Olive is great- never had a problem and I have been using it for over 5 years. I soap high with it as well- 45-100%.

Lard is another story- I have gotten a lot of Dos when I soaped with Lard. :(
I hope your new batch turns out well for you.

Stinkydancer said:
The Sam's Olive is great- never had a problem and I have been using it for over 5 years. I soap high with it as well- 45-100%.

Isn't that funny, I have never had a lard batch *knocks on wood* DOS.
And, thank you, me too- I think today's loaf came out really pretty.
I used lard to give me a little more time with a spoon swirl. Guess I took too long though, by the time I was done with my spooning the top was all thickened. I sort of blobbed the top on :lol:

saltydog said:
Stinkydancer said:

Isn't that funny, I have never had a lard batch *knocks on wood* DOS.
And, thank you, me too- I think today's loaf came out really pretty.
I used lard to give me a little more time with a spoon swirl. Guess I took too long though, by the time I was done with my spooning the top was all thickened. I sort of blobbed the top on :lol:

Oooh blobbed could be pretty- great for those textured tops. :) I'm glad it turned out better for you.
It is weird how different oils react with different people and their environments. It's interesting...for a nerdy soaper like me.

:D

Latest posts

Back