It's cracking...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HobbyMom

Reaction score
IMG_20181110_170544455.jpg
IMG_20181110_170429104.jpg
I put it in the freezer with lid off. Should I leave it in there uncovered or should I cover it? I want it to reach full gel phase. Soaped at temps... Lye 128 and Oils 120. What should I do? Can I fix this and still get a full gel?

If you want it to gel, take it out of the freezer. Keeping it cool is used to prevent gel. I'd cover and wrap it in a towel but keep a eye on it, you don't want it to crack further.

If you want it to gel, take it out of the freezer. Keeping it cool is used to prevent gel. I'd cover and wrap it in a towel but keep a eye on it, you don't want it to crack further.

Thank you both. I did take it out of the freezer and cover it with the lid and towel. The crack has closed back now and it is very warm. I only made it 2 or so hours ago.

I’d do as stated above. You soaped pretty warm, easier to let it gel, just watch it.

I took it out to cut it & it is pretty crumbly and breaks we're it cracked. Also it is zappy. I will give it a few more hours then I will finish cutting it. I will probably throw this soap away.

I took it out to cut it & it is pretty crumbly and breaks we're it cracked. Also it is zappy. I will give it a few more hours then I will finish cutting it. I will probably throw this soap away.

It may be zappy for a couple days. I would cut it sooner than later. Sometimes the longer it sits the harder to cut. If it’s cold and not soft I would cut it. Then let it cure.

It may be zappy for a couple days. I would cut it sooner than later. Sometimes the longer it sits the harder to cut. If it’s cold and not soft I would cut it. Then let it cure.

Maybe it crumbly because I had a lot of air bubbles?

IMG_20181111_084019116.jpg
IMG_20181111_084426.jpg
IMG_20181111_084459.jpg

You can grate it up and rebatch it with the proper amount of oil if you can work out how much is needed. Wear gloves when grating, its caustic enough to burn your hands if exposed too long.

Am I soaping too hot? The second batch gelled but cracked as well. I ran in the calc 3 times before I made it.

I’ve seen people have issues with 8th & Ocean FO ricing and getting hot. Mine did not rice but it is partly a floral so it got pretty warm.

Back