Issues when cutting soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clickadoo

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm hoping for a little help diagnosing a problem. From my research last night I suspect I'm not letting it harden enough when I cut it because it seems to be crumbling and the last one I did they were even breaking apart. I had not been able to find pics that looked just like mine. I had waited 24 hours when I took it out of the mold, and this was a different recipe them I normally use that was high in rice bran. This batch (the yellow/cream) actually gave me all kinds of issues but one thing at a time right?!?! The brown bars were a goat milk batch that also has other issues but I'm specifically wondering why they crumble part when I cut. I use the same knife I usually do and and until recently haven't had problems. I noticed on the yellow/cream bars when I cut slow it broke, when I cut fast it was better but basically do I need to wait longer to cut? I just did a batch that came out great and I don't want to ruin them too when I cut! Hopefully my pics post right to show what I mean.

image.jpg

What is the recipe. I'm sure others will want to know to try and help. :)
Is it always this same recipe and sometimes it crumbles and other times it doesn't?

I take from my mold early and late depending on what's in it and if I let it gel. Looks like you have partial gel but is there a raised ring around it the circle? I'm on my phone so maybe that's why it
Looks different.

It looks like the brown one way overheated in the middle section. your recipe might help us help you. Did you run the rice bran recipe through soap calc?

Ok, so the dark one was a goat milk that despite being in the fridge and freezer still gelled. Like I said there were several problems :crazy: The recipe for that one I use most every time which is 5.8% Castor, 5.8% cocoa butter, 30.8% coconut oil, 38.5% olive oil, 19.2% palm with 3% superfat. I have not had this issue until recently and it has been hit and with with the last few batches.

The other yellow bars I used a Soap queen recipe that I half'd:
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...ocess-soap/making-sunshine-cold-process-soap/
I have used this one before and it came out fine but I had some over mixing issues and the FO accelerated things as well I think so there with some funky things with this one as well.
(Why is it so hard to get a NORMAL batch of soap! :eh:)

I am interested in the replies you get as I often get a small area specially in the middle cakes of my wooden log mould. But I think I read in somewhere on here about not wrapping the soap from the get go so it doesnt get too hot and can do its job better....do you find yours happens more in the middle of the log?

It seems to be through the entire block and seems to have no rhyme or reason. I use a Rubbermaid tub for my mold that I usually wrap in a towel so I don't think it seems to get too hot since it's not wood. It has been particularly warm here so i don't know if the heat has anything to do with it or perhaps hindering the drying. ??

Are you allowing enough time for your soap to reach room temp before cutting?
I often get impatient and cut soon after removing from the fridge, like today's laundry soap, and it crumbles/splits when I am pushing the blade through.

I don't usually do the freezer it just seemed to be getting warm so I put it in there for just a bit, them back to the fridge. Then I leave it out for another day before I take it out and cut. I have a feeling it just needs another day or two but sometimes it's so hard to wait!!

If your soap is crumbling when you cut it you are probably waiting too long to cut. It could also be due to the recipe or sometimes lye heavy soap will do that too. Knives are hard to use for cutting soap, they are wedge shaped and the deeper you cut into the soap with the blade the more the top of the knife forces the soap apart and can cause it to break. Try a pastry cutter or a wire cutter if possible.

Latest posts

Back