Issue with dissolving paste

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midiva53

Reaction score
On my fifth attempt to make liquid soap, I finally succeeded! However, I had trouble when I was diluting the paste. Keeping it in suspension has been an issue. I read Catherine Failor's book Making Natural Liquid Soaps, and I used alcohol ( Everclear) to help dissolve the paste. However, it did not want to stay in solution. I used my stick blender to force the remaining soap into suspension (not what I wanted to do - put air in my soap!), however I did not know how to solve my problem. I made 2 lbs paste, and attempted to make a final dilution of 30% by adding @ 32 oz water & 4 oz alcohol. What am I missing? What did I do wrong? Also where can I purchase denatured alcohol online that is safe for soap making?

Sounds like you need to add more distilled water. You are doing a 1:1 ratio which may work for a high coconut oil formula, but most will require more dilution water than that. Most of my dilutions are 1:4 (100% soft oils) - 1:2.5. Stick blending will not help dilute your paste but will just make a foamy mess that can take quite a while to settle out.

Latest posts

Back